Notes bug

I think I’ve found a bug concering the “Notes” feature that I’ve been able to reproduce.

First game session:

Let’s say I’m starting a new game (fantasy RPG). One of the things I’ll do is review my abilities and make abbreviated notes in the Private tab of the game’s Notes system. After making these notes, I’ll click the Save button to save those notes. Let’s say I write:

I get a +1 to hit in combat in Forested locations

Now, let’s say I save the game and close it down.

Second game session:

I load the saved game. Everything is fine and my notes are still there. During this session, I pick up a weapon which gives my a +1 to hit in combat so I edit my private notes like this:

Sword gives me a +1 to hit
I get a +2 to hit in combat in Forested locations (sword)

I click the Save button to save the notes and later the game is saved and shut down.

Third game session:

I load our saved game, go to my private notes and it says:

I get a +1 to hit in combat in Forested locations

As you can see, all the changes I made in the second game session are gone.

In other words, it appears that whatever private notes are written during the first game session are locked when the game is saved and, even though they can be edited during the game session, once the game is saved, the notes revert back to the notes saved in the first game session.

My playtester and I have had about 6 game sessions so far and everytime I open the Private Notes, the original notes I wrote on our first game session are still there …even though I’ve attempted to change them on several occasions. I’ve also tried saving the game under a different file name but that doesn’t help either.

I’ve tried to reproduce the error this morning by:
starting a game
saving a private note
saving the game
shutting down the game
restarting the game
loading the saved game
editing the private notes
saving the notes
saving the game
shutting down the game
restarting the game
loading the saved game
checking the notes

…and sure enough, my original notes on the first save are still intact and the changes I made in the second load are gone.

Hi,

Thanks for the bug report. I have also reproduced it and will look into it asap to be fixed in the upcoming 3.1 beta.

Brent.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Fixed in swampwallaby-merge@3368.

I’m amazed no-one has ever noticed this before!!!

Brent.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

You know, perhaps I’m missing something, but I think you guys patch bugs a leeetle faster than Microsoft does.

No, I think they fix bugs a LOT faster than Microsoft does :laughing:

Thanx for the update. I thought maybe it was something wrong on this end as, I agree, I thought someone would have pointed this out a long time ago.