PBEM Tournament Proposal

Although it doesn’t look like there will be any “official” tournament support through the Vassal site itself, I’ve always found the occassional tournament to be fun and would be interested in something something like a “bracket” tournament in a few games that play well via PBEM.
Right off hand I was thinking maybe Small World for the first one and then starting others as well if people are interested.

I’m figuring on using a site like http://challonge.com/ to create the brackets - as it’s free (as long as it’s under a certain bandwidth usage), seems to do a good job and creates forum-publishable charts like the one shown below (and even has a card/board game category when labeling):

I’m figuring it might take a while for enough interested people to see this starting out so I’m thinking of maybe starting in about 3 weeks (probably Sept 1st / labor day weekend). Number of games and number of players per game woudl probably have to be figured out once we find out how many people are actually interested.

If you’d like to give it a go, go ahead and respond here and please subscribe to the thread so you don’t lose track of it when things get to starting up - also feel free to suggest other games you’d like to see a PBEM elimination bracket tournament on as well!

(Side note - what do you win if you win a tournament? Well, mostly just bragging rights. But I was thinking maybe I (or someone with way better design skills if they’re interested in doing it) could maybe come up with an editable image of a tournament trophy that could be used to display in forum signatures or what-not…)

This is a great idea here, I also think this type of occassional tournament would be fun! :smiley:
Question though: If using this Vassal system, how would you make the PBEM logfile true/secure? …meaning that a player repeats a dice roll or turn phase until they get the result they want, then send the logfile…?

Really there isn’t any way to prevent it if somebody truly wants to be a jerk like that. :frowning:
One would hope that nobody would get that dishonestly over-competitive over something “just for fun” like this though.

I was part of a very successful VSQL ladder tournament a few years ago. If either player asked for it, then we used a third-party email dice roller to make rolls. This worked well.

Personally, I asked to use the Email Dice Roller every game, not because I mistrusted my opponents, but because I wanted no hassle if I had a really good run of luck.

B.

I like the idea and would participate if I have the game.

To: messages@vassalengine.org
Sent: Sun, August 12, 2012 10:49:31 AM
Subject: [messages] [Opponents Wanted] PBEM Tournament Proposal

Although it doesn’t look like there will be any “official” tournament
support through the Vassal site itself, I’ve always found the
occassional tournament to be fun and would be interested in something
something like a “bracket” tournament in a few games that play well via
PBEM. Right off hand I was thinking maybe Small World for the first one and
then starting others as well if people are interested.
I’m figuring on using a site like challonge.com/ to create the
brackets - as it’s free (as long as it’s under a certain bandwidth
usage), seems to do a good job and creates forum-publishable charts like
the one shown below (and even has a card/board game category when
labeling):

I’m figuring it might take a while for enough interested people to see
this starting out so I’m thinking of maybe starting in about 3 weeks
(probably Sept 1st / labor day weekend). Number of games and number of
players per game woudl probably have to be figured out once we find out
how many people are actually interested.
If you’d like to give it a go, go ahead and respond here and please
subscribe to the thread so you don’t lose track of it when things get to
starting up - also feel free to suggest other games you’d like to see a
PBEM elimination bracket tournament on as well!

(Side note - what do you win if you win a tournament? Well, mostly just
bragging rights. But I was thinking maybe I (or someone with way better
design skills if they’re interested in doing it) could maybe come up
with an editable image of a tournament trophy that could be used to
display in forum signatures or what-not…)

[1]

[1] images.challonge.com/winyfinish.png

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/pbem-tournament-proposal/5189/1

Well, it looks like there won’t be enough interest to support this. Ah well :cry:

I would be interested in pbem tourny, but not small world.

I would get in on a PBEM tournament, I’m pretty flexible on game. Small World looks fun, I like 1960:MoP, I am interested in “gateway” wargaming. 2p tourney? I’m in