Unless we find some utterly catastrophic problem with beta6 which necessitates
rushing out a fix, I’d like to make beta7 the final beta before releasing
3.1.0. Ideally, I’d like to go back in time and release 3.1.0 in April, but as
that seems not to be in the cards, I’ll settle for releasing it before the end
of the year. Today being 1 December, this means we have 31 days to do that.
Here’s what I see us having left:
Translations. I’m still working on getting the translation keys in order.
This is my personal highest priority right now, because our translators can’t
get to work on it until I’m done, which means that I’m the bottleneck on this
one. In order to expedite this, I’m going to start posting translation keys
for which we still need messages written in English, and soliciting candidate
messages from people here.
App icon. What’s left to do on this is an hour’s work, tops. I’ll take
care of this one, but it can come close to the end of the beta7 work, since
it neither depends on nor is blocking any other issues.
Bugs. Here, I see two categories: (a) bugs which are in the tracker, and
(b) bugs which are not in the tracker.
(a) For bugs which are in the tracker, we’re in pretty good shape right now.
I’m classifying these into three categories: Must Fix, Should Fix, Might Fix.
- 2219448: Can Synchronize with players in Locked Rooms
- 2358673: Piece transparency in LOS looks weird at non 100% zoom
- 2368783: NPE in SourceTileOpBitmapImpl.eval()
- 2314707: bad error reporting path for memory-mapped images
- 2302536: NPE after exhausting the heap during image loading
- 2286742: IllegalArgumentException in WizardSupport.showWelcomeWizard
- 2199683: NPE in GameState.addPiece()
- 2265820: StackOverflowError in LaunchButton$1.actionPerformed()
- Everything else
I think we must fix the Must Fix bugs before releasing beta7, we should fix
the Should Fix bugs, and if we fix anything else, that’s great, but the
Might Fix bugs shouldn’t hold us up. (Please tell me if I’m missing anything
here, or if you think I’m miscategorizing these.)
Among the Must Fix bugs, 2219448 is being discussed here:
and 2358673 is being investigated here:
The last one, 2368783, I’m looking at myself.
Among the Should Fix bugs, I’m looking at 2314707 and 2302536, and I’ve asked
Rodney to look at 2199683. We have a fix already for 2265820, which I’m still
a bit uncomfortable with. For 2286742, I haven’t been able to obtain a copy
of the module—no reply from the module designer, and as this is a commercial
module, the user won’t give it to me. I’d like for us to fix this one, but
if they refuse to help us, then it’s going to stay broken.
(b) For bugs which are not in the tracker, we’re in much worse shape. We
don’t have a list of them, so we can’t check what’s remaining. These bugs are
almost exclusively ones which don’t generate exceptions and so were reported
direclty in the forum.
The first thing which needs to be done for these is for somebody to collect
all of the bug reports which have only been posted to the forum and put them
into the tracker so we have them organized in a manageable way.
Can I get a volunteer for this? (Preferably someone who is not already working