Problems with Max / Min Heap Size in 3.1.5

Hi,

I just downloaded 3.1.5 and tried to open the World at War Module (2.2). I’d been playing it in version 3.1.3, and it worked OK (some bugs in the module itself, but it played). When I first opened the module I got a message saying that the max heap size in preferences was too high, and it would be set at the failsafe of 128MB. In the preferences, the Min / Max Heap size was set at 256 / 512. When I went on, as the module started to load, I got a message saying Vassal had run out of memory, that the Max Heap size was too low and to reset it in my preferences and try again. I can still play the module using v 3.1.3, but would rather stay current. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Try setting the heap size to 192 MB or something in between 256 MB and 128 MB. 128 MB is indeed a good failsafe value, but it’s too little for many modules. 256 MB is too much for your computer however.

  • M.

2009/5/17 fatgreta <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thus spake “fatgreta”:

You have to set the max heap to less than the amount of RAM you have.
How much RAM do you have?


J.


Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thanks for the replies. It’s an old computer and I need more RAM (I’ve only got 512MB), and based on feedback on another post I’ll get more of that and see how it goes then.

Thanks,

Chris

Just out of curiosity, did you try setting the maximum heap to 192 MB. This is the second time I’ve suggested this to someone and no one has tried yet.

  • M.

2009/5/18 fatgreta <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

hi,

Not yet, but i’ve not gone back to the game since your post. I will try it and let you know, when I get a chance.

Chris

Hi,

I just tried this. I used the 192 figure for both boxes (initial and max, I think they were). It ran smoothly, and I’d say a little faster than version 3.1.3 was running, which was a big improvement on my machine over whichever version I used before that. So, thanks for the tip, it seems to be great. If I have any further trouble, I’ll post it here.

Chris