Question about internationalization

One question about the internationalization, I see a lot of code that handles i18n, localization of names etc, does this code work and is this needed?

So far I got the impression that wargaming is mostly a thing in the anglo-speaking world, I don’t live in these parts of the world and so far I have never known anyone here who plays wargames, I didn’t even know that wargames are still produced in the 21st century and thought that even in the anglo-speaking world the wargaming mostly died out after dungeons&dragons came out end of the 70ies. There is a store in my town that sells wargames but all of them are in english so it seems that whoever is interested in playing wargames needs to know english anyways. This is why I was surprised to see so much i18n code in the codebase.

VASSAL is used for more than just wargames. There are many Euro-style game modules developed in VASSAL, also, and Euro-style boardgames are getting more popular all the time. In fact, Terraforming Mars, the module I’m currently working on, has both a French and a dual French/English version.

Yes it does and yes it is.

On the Module Editor side, the i18n is fairly straight forward using Resource bundle property files.

Most of the references to i18n stuff you are seeing is on the Module side where we had to shoehorn in the ability to Translate the texts recorded in module components, like Report Format texts, Command Names etc.

We have a sizable International community with many module translated to alternate languages as well as non-english modules.

Board Gaming in general has a large resurgence in 80’s and 90’s with the Euro-game movement that started in Germany. Many Euro-style games used to be only available in German until ‘Settlers of Catan’ broke into the English Speaking market.

Hex based war games continue to have a steady popularity base.

Thus spake Flint1b:

One question about the internationalization, I see a lot of code that
handles i18n, localization of names etc, does this code work and is this
needed?

Yes, it works and is used.

I didn’t even know that wargames are still produced in the 21st century
and thought that even in the anglo-speaking world the wargaming mostly
died out after dungeons&dragons came out end of the 70ies.

There are more wargames published per year now than in the 70s. There’s
been a major revival since about 2000.

J.

I understand, thank you for answering.

Yes Catan is very popular here, but I didn’t even know its known internationally, neither did I know the term “Euro-game”, probably because I live right in the middle of it.