Questions about map grids...

I have to re-watch Joel Toppen’s YouTube video about creating reporting map grids, but also thought I’d pose a few questions here…

1. Can you place more than one map grid on a single map graphic? Or do you need to create the “prefixes” for multiple maps and the hex designations via the preferences menus?
  2. If your map has an irregular edge (hex grid is encroached upon by terrain charts, turn record charts and other things), how do you preserve the proper numbering of hexes to agree with the printed map (and to eliminate hexes on the grid that don’t exist on the map)?

1: You can place any number of grids if you use the Multi Zone feature to define different grids

2: same as 1, define a Zone cropping out the hex grid area that is encroached and apply your hex grid numbering as you normally would

Thanks! I think I get it. It will be clearer, I’m sure, when I get down to creating and editing the various zones. As it is now, I may be confusing the difference between a zone and a (hex)grid. Perhaps a hexgrid is just one of several formats a zone can use…?

A zone is simply a polygonal area. In a Multi-Zoned Grid, you can nest things. For example, you draw a Zone to correspond to a nation. Then within that Zone, you could create any of these:

A hex grid
A rectangular grid
An irregular grid (points that VASSAL calls “Regions” that you place where you want and name/number however you choose)

Be forewarned that drawing oddly-shaped Zones–basically anything that doesn’t consist of easy straight lines–is really, really onerous due to a bad bug in the tool you use to draw and edit Zones.

Thanks for that clarification. I know I’ll be back here to clarify once again, once I get into the meat of preparing my first module!

OK, I’m actually trying this, but have some questions.

I set up a Multi-Zoned grid and assigned it to a single map graphic. This single graphic actually comprises TWO map sheets, a North and a South map. I want to have TWO hex grids with a N or S prefix above the hexes.

Now: when I create a hex grid INSIDE the Multi-Zoned Grid folder, and go to edit it, I have no way to truncate the hex grid (tell it to stop at the bottom of the N map), so that I can then create a second hex grid for the south.

Similarly, I have no way to “grab the top left corner” of the grid and place it where I want it. The map seems to span to infinity in all directions.

What do I do now? How can I set a limit to where one grid begins and one ends?

This module

vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Next_War:_Korea

Has a single map/2 sheets with North/South hex grid numbers. That will show
you how to do it exactly

From: messages [mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of
Stiglr via messages
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 7:49 PM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: Re: [messages] [Module Design] Questions about map grids…

OK, I’m actually trying this, but have some questions.

I set up a Multi-Zoned grid and assigned it to a single map graphic.
This single graphic actually comprises TWO map sheets, a North and a
South map. I want to have TWO hex grids with a N or S prefix above the
hexes.

Now: when I create a hex grid INSIDE the Multi-Zoned Grid folder, and go
to edit it, I have no way to truncate the hex grid (tell it to stop at
the bottom of the N map), so that I can then create a second hex grid
for the south.

Similarly, I have no way to “grab the top left corner” of the grid and
place it where I want it. The map seems to span to infinity in all
directions.

What do I do now? How can I set a limit to where one grid begins and one
ends?

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/questions-about-map-grids/7260/6

Thanks; hope I can follow the plot once I get the module open in Edit mode.

Next War:Korea module was a PERFECT guide! Thanks!