Release candidate for 3.2.0-beta1

I propose that the 3.2.0-svn8175 build be released as 3.2.0-beta1:

vassalengine.org/~uckelman/builds/

In order to give people a few days to look at this, and because I’m going to be away for the weekend, I’m aiming to release on Monday, 28 May.

Bugs which already existed in 3.1 I don’t consider reasons to hold up the release, nor minor new bugs (though we do want to hear about these so they can be fixed after beta1). What I’m interested in verifying is that no one encounters new bugs which are catastrophic.

This is good. We will have had a couple more full-night playtests under our belt by then. I will make sure to report back one way or the other by the end of the weekend.

-Mark R.

I can honestly say that I have been using your development builds to play my weekly 40k and BFG matches and have yet to run into a single catastrophic bug.

Good work guys!

Yep, we used build 8175 (on Windows 7) extensively last night with no known issues. Appears to work perfectly from our perspective. We plan another long session Saturday evening.

-Mark R.

Still… no issues found. 8175 looks like a good candidate from my perspective.

Oops…

Just found a non-showstopper, low-priority bug.

While editing the title of a tab in a Tabbed Panel in a module, certain characters are not displayed in the title, such as dash “-”. Also, if a space is included in the title, then the entire title is not displayed. This is ephemeral, since saving and exiting edit mode and going to play mode the titles are displayed properly and indeed, even going back into editing mode the titles are correctly displayed. It appears to only affect the moment of initial edit (and thus can be confusing to a module designer).

(I tried to add this to Bugzilla, but it wasn’t clear how to do it. Sorry for that.)

-Mark R.

Thus spake mroyer:

Oops…

Just found a non-showstopper, low-priority bug.

While editing the title of a tab in a Tabbed Panel in a module, certain
characters are not displayed in the title, such as dash “-”. Also, if a
space is included in the title, then the entire title is not displayed.
This is ephemeral, since saving and exiting edit mode and going to play
mode the titles are displayed properly and indeed, even going back into
editing mode the titles are correctly displayed. It appears to only
affect the moment of initial edit (and thus can be confusing to a module
designer).

I’m not able to reproduce the problem with spaces or hyphens. What I am
seeing is that the titles of tabs seem to lag one edit behind what shows
in the dialogs displayed by the editor, which also occurs in 3.1.19.

(I tried to add this to Bugzilla, but it wasn’t clear how to do it.
Sorry for that.)

At what point did you get stuck? If it’s not clear how to report bugs,
then we’d like to know what should be clarified to make it easier.

J.

It’s pretty consistent for me.
If I change Economy1 to Economy 1 I get Economy, and Economy-1 I get Economy1.

But, you also appear correct, there is a lag. If I change Sequence to SeAquence, I get Sequence. If I edit again, but don’t change anything I get SeAquence.

Regarding bugzilla, if I select “myBugs” I get the following screen, and quite frankly I have no idea what I should be doing. Selecting “File a Bug” doesn’t really change much - just deletes some options. “New” just gives me the same thing again. I don’t see anywhere to enter a text description of the bug, or how to get to such a place.

[attachment=0]Untitled.png[/attachment]

Thus spake mroyer:

It’s pretty consistent.
If I change Economy1 to Economy 1 I get Economy, and Economy-1 I get
Economy1.

But, you also appear correct, there is a lag. If I change Sequence to
SeAquence, I get Sequence. If I edit again, but don’t change anything I
get SeAquence.

I’ve filled the lag problem as Bug 4473. I belive it’s fixed in
3.1.20-svn8183. (The code which causes it is from svn5, which makes it
likely that this has never not been a bug. How can we first be finding
this now?!) I still can’t reproduce your problem with hyphens and
spaces, but maybe this change also fixe that. Try 3.1.20-svn8183, and
let me know.

J.

I can’t test it. My module only works with VASSAL 3.2. I get a module too new error if I try to edit in 3.1.20.

-Mark R.

Thus spake mroyer:

“uckelman” wrote:

I still can’t reproduce your problem with hyphens and
spaces, but maybe this change also fixe that. Try 3.1.20-svn8183, and
let me know.

I can’t test it. My module only works with VASSAL 3.2. I get a module
too new error if I try to edit in 3.1.20.

I’ve applied the fix to the trunk. Try 3.2.0-svn8186.

J.

I can no longer duplicate the problem - that fix appears to have done the trick.

Thanks again Joel.

-Mark R.

Thus spake mroyer:

“uckelman” wrote:

I’ve applied the fix to the trunk. Try 3.2.0-svn8186.

I can no longer duplicate the problem - that fix appears to have done
the trick.

Great. In that case, I’m aiming to release 3.2.0-beta1 tomorrow
sometime.

J.

This very bug is, incidentally, the reason I have still been using svn 4. Thanks for fixing this, it’ll be exciting to see what has changed!

-Seth

Thus spake irishwulf:

“uckelman” wrote:

I’ve filled the lag problem as Bug 4473. I belive it’s fixed in
3.1.20-svn8183. (The code which causes it is from svn5, which makes it
likely that this has never not been a bug. How can we first be
finding
this now?!)

This very bug is, incidentally, the reason I have still been using svn
4. Thanks for fixing this, it’ll be exciting to see what has changed!

Seth, you are a funny man. (Everything before svn1500 or so came from
the old CVS repoistory.)

J.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work on 3.2.0. I’ve been using the SVNs and now beta1 to build a new module. Expressions plus strings-for-hotkeys has been just amazing for module development.

I haven’t had any major issues. I do get the “moved.gif” not found error message pretty often but I think that is my fault. Also I’ve had a fatal error once or twice on load in one of the older SVNs but the bug-submit triggered automatically and was submitted. I don’t think it was a major issue as it wasn’t very repeatable and didn’t actually crash the module edit I had open.

Anyway, great work, and thanks again!

I believe there is a memory leak in the latest builds of VASSAL 3.2 (at least on Windows 7). It took me a while to figure out what’s going on, but I believe it’s related to tiling. It appears that as you scroll around a tiled image, the tiles that go out of view are never released from memory, even if they are reloaded when they come back into view. This causes the memory consumed by the java.exe to slowly creep up until eventually all memory is consumed and things begin to lock up and stop responding.

A lot of the above is speculation. The salient observation is when scrolling, resizing or opening windows, the memory used as indicated by the Windows 7 Process Monitor (see below) continues to climb and never releases the additional memory used.

-Mark R.

[attachment=0]Windows 7 Process Monitor.png[/attachment]

The in-memory tile cache uses SoftReferences for holding tiles. The expected behavior is for the heap to be filled when using modules with sufficiently large images; after that, some SoftReferences are reclaimed to free up memory as needed. The memory usage shown in your screenshot isn’t unexpected, or even that high—that’s only 205MB.

I think you’re seeing some other kind of problem. I’ll need more details about what eaxctly you’re doing.

Well, the number never drops. Here it is after playing along further, consuming 1.5GB and 79% of my physical memory. At this point, the module is basically “locked-up”, many windows not repainting themselves, pieces not selectable and so on.

[attachment=0]Windows 7 Process Monitor.png[/attachment]

More info:
I reinstalled an old version of VASSAL 3.2 (my old favorite: build 7890), and this problem is not exhibited. The memory creeps up to roughly 600 to 650 MB and then hovers up and down in that range as I scroll around a giant, tiled map. In the latest builds, as I scroll, the memory usage blows right past that until “lock up”. So, the issue appears to have been introduced since last November.

-Mark R.