Remove player from player slot

I know this or similar features have been brought up before, but I wanted to get it back on the radar.

Give the room owner/creator a way to remove a player from a player slot. I now other people have requested ways to kick/ban a person from the room entirely, but we run into a different problem.

If a player rage quits (or for another reason just leaves the room) without moving to observer before they leave, the player slot they are/were in is still locked to anyone else. Unless they come back and move out of that slot, there is no way to let someone else in to take their place. The difference with this compared to a ban/kick from the room, is since the player has left, there is no longer a name over in the current game room window to go right click on and select options on.

Unfortunately, we can’t really implement this without introducing a security loophole that anyone could use to kick any player out of any player slot in any save game.

Drat! I had a feeling there wouldn’t ne a good way to restrict it, but I was hoping.

There are techniques to do this, but they are complex and Version 3 of Vassal is not well designed to support them.

The simplest version in principle is to get approval from all other players (What happens in a two player game?). Lot’s of work to implement something like this. It would need to support off-line as well as on-line play.