Running Vassal in Ultra High Resolution

I’m trying to run Vassal on a Lenovo Yoga 2 at 3200 x 1800 resolution (native). Vassal is super small and nearly impossible to read.

Is there any way to change Vassal to use the size dictated by the windows API? Menus in things like Word and Firefox are fine, but Vassal is super tiny.

Thanks

Thus spake dashrender:

[This message has been edited.]

I’m trying to run Vassal on a Lenovo Yoga 2 at 3200 x 1800 resolution
(native). Vassal is super small and nearly impossible to read.

Is there any way to change Vassal to use the size dictated by the
windows API? Menus in things like Word and Firefox are fine, but Vassal
is super tiny.

The problem is that we’re not using the “system” LookAndFeel for Swing
on Windows, which causes the system DPI not to be picked up by Swing.
IIRC, the reason for our choice is that the on Windows, using the system
LaF introduces other problems—or at least did when I looked into this
last.

We can check on it again, but I wouldn’t be surprised to find the same
problems as before.

J.

What results do you get if you install the “generic” bundle (downloads.sourceforge.net/vassal … -other.zip), add “-Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel” as an argument to javaw on line 5 of VASSAL.bat, and then launch from VASSAL.bat?

Hallo! I try “-Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel”. It helps just to run Vassal. When I open module (Summoner Wars) it still use tiny fonts (Lenovo T540p, 2880×1620, 15+ inches). :frowning:

So, this is an old thread but is the first result when searching vassal high resolution. I wanted to note I found a better fix for this issue using Oracles documentation about swing and HiDPI devices. It’d be great if Vassal detected and supported it automatically, but the fix is relatively simple:

Create an empty text file on your desktop called “swing.properties”
Open it with notepad.

Paste in the following lines and save the file:

# Swing properties swing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel

Copy this file into your JRE’s lib folder. For me this was:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_51\lib

Now when you run Vassal (or its modules, or other swing applications) it will set that parameter and scale properly. Note I haven’t extensively tested this, but in the a couple modules I checked the vast majority of windows, buttons, etc were scaled to a usable size. A few, for some reason, were not but its much more playable this way.

Tried dracflamloc 's fix but it doesn’t seem to to work on my windows 10 computer. Is there any way to fix this as of now? Vassal is amazing. It’s incredible that so much time has been devoted to this project. However, with the growing market for 4k tvs and video cards it seems like this is a pretty serious problem.

So I too had the same problem and found a solution so I created an account to share this info. The method posted by dracflamloc doesn’t work because VASSAL only corrects the issue with a properties file not a text file so…
I downloaded IDEA 15 once I installed the program I ran the 30 day trial, created a new project no template or anything (just keep hitting next) and then I right clicked the directory on the left I belive it was named untitled. I hit New>File. I was then prompted for a name so I named it “swing.properites” once it was created I pasted in the info from drac. I saved the file and closed out the program. went to my file directory and copied the file I had just created and pasted it where drac said to and BOOM! problem solved. I am running a Windows 10 PC if it counts for anything. Now VASSAL doesn’t ignore DPI settings!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve been trying to determine what precisely the problems were that we had with the WindowsLookAndFeel which made me disable it in trunk@8079 on 13 February 2012—but I’m turning up nothing. Does anyone remember this? (Brent, maybe?)

Ok, you can also create the write file type using Eclipse. However, I have placed the swing.properties file in all possible lib folders related to Java - both jdk and jre folders - but I still have Vassal with tiny text. Any ideas?

P.S. I am using Win8.1

I love vassal but have the same trouble
I’ve use the fixe - It work a bit on my surfaceBook : the GUI is bigger but not big enougth to be readable without my glasses.

Tks for help

Guillaume