saved games not picking up new cards...

I’m designing a module for a game similar to Panzerblitz but using a single card deck. I have also created 5 saved games intending to use them as scenarios. I have updated the card deck and this is working fine using ‘new game’. However, when I load a saved game the old card deck is still there.

How can I get the saved games to recognise the updated card deck?

Thanks for any help on this.

Use the saved game updater in the module editor or rebuild the saved games

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

On Apr 9, 2009, at 3:20 PM, yangtze wrote:

You need to update the saved games.

You can do this by opening the module in the editor (Edit Module…)
and choosing the Tools > Update Saved Games menu item. This should
usually work.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

You can’t, you have to rebuild the Decks manually. No tool currently will rebuild a Deck in a game in progress to match the current definition of a Deck in the module.

I am working on an improved game refresher for version 3.2 and am looking at options to Refresh Decks.

However, it is not as simple a task as you might think.

Updating individual cards in a Deck with the new version of each card is easy, the current updater tool does that.

But updating the entire Deck is not. Cards from the Deck may be distributed over multiple maps.

What exactly do you mean by ‘update the card Deck’?

What about cards out in peoples hands?

B.

Messages mailing list

Brent, I’m guilty of using the word ‘update’ loosely there. I mean I made new versions of the cards and changed them in the module. The ‘saved games’ are actually scenarios and there are no cards in people’s hands at the start.

Ok, that’s the easy case.

The current Saved Game updater should fix that for you, as will my new version.

B.

Messages mailing list

Ah problem - the module version number has always been 1.0 whilst I’ve been working on it so the updater doesn’t seem to want to work. I’m using vassal 3.0.3 iirc, not the very latest iteration. I’m thinking it might be safer to just build the scenarios again?

In my experience, even if the cards are in the original decks and haven’t been dealt out to anyone, the saved game updater will NOT update the cards. The only solution I’ve found is to rebuild the saved game from scratch.

The new updater I am working on for 3.2 will update existing cards in Decks, but will not add or remove cards that may have been added or removed from the Deck definition in the module.

In general, there is a limit to what an updater can do once you start changing the structure of a module.

B.

Messages mailing list