Send To Location

I see in the Send To Location dialog there are places where the user is asked to enter a string. One case is for zones on a map and the other is for regions on a map. My question is can both of those be replaced by the same type of selection used for the map just above them on the dialog? Is there a reason for the user to enter a non-existent zone or region because it will be added later by an extension?

I ask because it seems to me that we should simply ask the user for the zone or region instead of asking for the map (using the select dialog) then for the zone or region via simple string data entry. I was thinking we could ask the user to specify the zone or region via the same selection dialog used for the map and then fill in both map and zone or region from that selection.

Thoughts?

How would you find the Map and/or Board of a Zone that has been defined as a
variable property on the piece as opposed to a proper name?

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Well, the select dialog seems to find things just fine. I figure I can use the same mechanism more or less and walk back up the tree to the ancestor that is a map object.

We might be thinking two different things here

properties or GP’s when you choose a Map or a Board, however the Zone being
a string will.

Putting a select dialog on the Zone will eliminate this ability unless you
intend to change the Select dialog behavior to also allow the input of
strings i.e $myproperty$. Or can this be done already?

I guess I don’t understand how the variable property works. Is there an example in a module somewhere I can look at?

Quite a few modules use the variable in the Zone string. Off the top of my head, To Be King or Through the Ages (I think). However they are pretty complex mods to wade through so have put together a simple demo inside attached zip illustrating it working and quicker to edit/dissect the methodology

On the piece there are two commands - Move me & Go Home, Move me is the variable Zone STL. Alternate between Move me and Go Home to see the effect

This also applies to regions as well

Thanks for the example. If I do what I did for the prototype selection, that should work. Namely use a combo box. Fill it with zones already defined, but allow the user to enter his own name as well.

How does that sound?

Sounds good :slight_smile:

Ok, I went ahead and modified SendToLocation to display select/clear buttons for zones and regions just like for maps and boards. I did some testing and it looks like it works, unless there is a use I don’t know about (very likely). I put the changes into a new branch I made off the trunk called jimcot-trunk.

If someone could look it over, I’d appreciate it.

So, anybody look a this yet? Is it possible to get it merged into the trunk?

the branch is jimcot-trunk.

TIA

Thus spake “jimcot”:

What revision is it?

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

The revision is 6475.

Thus spake “jimcot”:

I’ve looked at this change now. I see that the select buttons give
you the whole build tree to select from. Wouldn’t it be better to
show only a list of zones or regions instead, rather than a lot
of extraneous stuff which isn’t selectable?

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org