Sluggish module in v 3.1.14

I have just finished building a module for a Napoleonic tactical game. The most recent of several over the years. This time around however game play is extremely slow and sluggish with the game coming on the verge of crashing with every rotate counter or right-click menu access. It’s certainly unplayable at this stage and I don’t know why?

I have built the module using the latest version (3.1.14) on a dated 2 GHz MacBook with 1GB of RAM. I never had issues with sometimes even larger (map size and counter density) games that I built using older versions of VASSAL but I doubt it’s the version upgrade as I see no postings here with the same issue.

Now this module has a new feature consisting of a Toolbar menu with Global Command keys which Activates (Highlights) certain groupings of counters but otherwise its pretty consistent with past builds.

Would there be a kind heart out there who could take a look at the module to determine just what might be clogging it up?

Jean

How many traits do you estimate you have in each counter?

B.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 27/09/2010 at 9:51 AM jtessier wrote:

I have just finished building a module for a Napoleonic tactical game.
The most recent of several over the years. This time around however
game play is extremely slow and sluggish with the game coming on the
verge of crashing with every rotate counter or right-click menu access.
It’s certainly unplayable at this stage and I don’t know why?

I have built the module using the latest version (3.1.14) on a dated 2
GHz MacBook with 1GB of RAM. I never had issues with sometimes even
larger (map size and counter density) games that I built using older
versions of VASSAL but I doubt it’s the version upgrade as I see no
postings here with the same issue.

Now this module has a new feature consisting of a Toolbar menu with
Global Command keys which Activates (Highlights) certain groupings of
counters but otherwise its pretty consistent with past builds.

Would there be a kind heart out there who could take a look at the
module to determine just what might be clogging it up?

Jean

Each counter has 3 to 4 traits:
1 - Basic Piece
2 - Dynamic Property (for the Command highlight to function)
3 - A prototype (Leader, infantry, cavalry or artillery)
4 - Some units also have a Prototype-Skirmish

Each unit Prototype has more or less the following:
1 - Rotate
2 - Mark when moved
3 - One layer each for (Rout, Disorganized, Assault, March, Out of Command, Activate [triggered by Dynamic Property])
4 - Cavalry have Layer’s for Tired and Exhausted. Artillery has a Layer for Unlimbered.
5 - Movement Trail
6 - Delete

Leaders have:
1 - Rotate
2 - Mark when Moved
3 - Layer - Activate [triggered by Dynamic Property])
4 - Layer - Paralysis
5 - Movement Trail
6 - Delete

The only different feature from past module iterations is access to the Activate Dynamic Property which used to be triggered from the Leader menu but is now located on the main Toolbar.

Jean

Grrr, what is up with my module? I have stripped the map out just to test to see if it was the map size. With a 100k map and a single counter the problem persists. I have taken out the Toolbar activated Global Command Property and the problem persists. I must have inserted something in there which really messed things up. I really don’t want to throw all those hours away from building thins thing. Could it be the order in which traits are placed within a piece’s hierarchy?

Jean

Unlikely. Please post a link to your module.

On second thoughts, trait order has caused performance problems in the past, especially Rotate traits being too far up the stack.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 29/09/2010 at 8:21 PM swampwallaby wrote:

Could it be the order in which traits are placed within a piece’s
hierarchy?

Unlikely. Please post a link to your module.

And I do have Rotate at the top so that all subsequent layers rotate along with the piece.

Here is the link to the site:
tactiquesnapoleon.com/Tactiq … oleon.html

The module is called 1808 - Vimeiro.