Socket error while installing a vmod

Hello all,
I am trying to install the World in Flames vmod and when I do, I receive a socket error almost instantly. I have already removed and reinstalled Java (current 8u201 version), I have disabled both Norton AV and Windows Defender, all to no avail. Curiously, the vmod loads without issue on an old HP ProLiant desktop from 2008, but will not load on my laptop. I will provide the error log below and hopefully someone with more technical expertise can see something that I’m missing!!!

• Model ASUS K52F
  • Operating System Windows 10
  • CPU Intel Pentium P6100 2GHZ
  • Memory 3GB RAM
  • Video Card Not sure how to find this…
  • Vassal version 3.2.17
  • Java version. 8u201
  • Vassal module name and version World in Flames Collector’s Edition Beta 10.vmod
  • Exactly what steps are required to reproduce your problem. If you are reporting on a problem that you can’t reproduce consistently, include as much information as possible about what you were doing right before the error occurred.

I have downloaded the vmod from the link provided by the game company (Australian Design Group - ADG). I have expanded the zip file and have attempted to run the executable from the zip file, from a specific folder, and from my desktop. Each time I do so, I get the same socket error message, as listed below:

The socket over which the Module Manager communicates has had a fault. Please restart VASSAL.

Show details:

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.io.IOException: Unable to create directory C:\Users\Loui\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\tiles\9be5ef9aefdb09783a2b93696e14a54469e5d865\0\00
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(Unknown Source)
at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker.get(Unknown Source)
at VASSAL.launch.AbstractLaunchAction$LaunchTask.done(AbstractLaunchAction.java:604)
at VASSAL.launch.Player$LaunchAction$1.done(Player.java:188)
at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker$5.run(Unknown Source)
at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker$DoSubmitAccumulativeRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at org.jdesktop.swingworker.AccumulativeRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker$DoSubmitAccumulativeRunnable.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unable to create directory C:\Users\Loui\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\tiles\9be5ef9aefdb09783a2b93696e14a54469e5d865\0\00
at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.forceMkdir(FileUtils.java:2211)
at VASSAL.launch.TilingHandler.makeHashDirs(TilingHandler.java:323)
at VASSAL.launch.TilingHandler.sliceTiles(TilingHandler.java:361)
at VASSAL.launch.AbstractLaunchAction$LaunchTask.doInBackground(AbstractLaunchAction.java:281)
at VASSAL.launch.AbstractLaunchAction$LaunchTask.doInBackground(AbstractLaunchAction.java:244)
at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

As I said in the header, I can get this to load and run with no issues on an older, slower, less powered machine with even less RAM. Hopefully you guys can spot something here and provide instructions on how to get around it.

Thank you in advance!!!

~Lou

In case you’re still having this problem, or anyone else who sees this is: It’s a permissions issue. Tiling is failing because the tiler doesn’t have permission to write to the directory it’s trying to write to.