Space Empires 4X

Hello,
I’m trying to run the Space Empires 4X module with VASSAL 3.5.3. When the module gets to the point of displaying the map window, I get a message, “NOTICE: You have placed more than the allowed number of this ship type.” I haven’t placed any ships. Clicking “OK” just repeats the message. I’ve tried this with module versions 3.0.7, 3.0.5, and 3.0.4. I’m wondering whether to try an earlier version of VASSAL.
Thanks for any help.

• Paul

Indeed, functionality with more recent VASSAL versions isn’t guaranteed–this is noted on the module’s wiki page: vassalengine.org/wiki/Module … mpires:_4X

It’ll definitely work in VASSAL 3.2.17, which itself requires Java 8 (nothing newer than that will work).

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying that. It’s disappointing, however, I’ve got a new machine, and it does not seem to run 3.2.17.

The module could be updated, either by its current maintainer or by someone willing to take up the task. Consider contacting the module’s maintainer about that, volunteering to update the module, or helping find and support someone in doing that.

What kind of machine are we talking about here? Is it an architecture that isn’t supported by Java 8? That’s the only requirement to getting VASSAL 3.2.17 running.

Hi Joel. FYI, I am also unable to get 3.2.17 running, which I was attempting to do to get Space Empires running (3.3 pretty much works, although when hiding and then maximizing the window I lost some non-essential images). I am on a Macbook Pro 2019 Retina Display. I try starting up 3.2.17 and nothing happens.

VASSAL 3.2.17 is so old it pre-dates the decision to bundle a Java runtime directly into the VASSAL app for MacOS. Therefore, if you wish to run 3.2.17, you’ll have to get a Java 8 runtime for MacOS and install that separately. If you know you already have Java 8 installed and VASSAL still isn’t launching, something else is going on.

Coincidentally, troubleshooting of this repeated Space Empires 4X popup issue was just happening over the weekend, and it was determined that you can use this module with VASSAL releases all the way up to 3.4.7 without experiencing the problem. You can get old releases from the archive.

2 Likes

We worked out what the problem is. Someone should be posting a new version of the module soon.

2 Likes

First of all thanks for this amazing module! Secondly Having the same issue as PLM, not game braking but having to take a second to hold enter or click click click through the notifications is kind of annoying is all, especially because it pops up with the when I hit the refresh production column.

Thanks for the upcoming update!

Thank you so much for all the work you put into this module. Is there an estimate on how much longer it will take for the new version?

I couldn’t tell you, I’m not making a new version as I have nothing to do with that module.

I just debugged the issue that was causing the problem…

I don’t actually remember who was looking at that.