Squad Leader - How To Use Master Scenario Start Files?

I’m able to start a new game and choose the boards I want from volume 1 of the version 4 boards, which are in a separate folder within VASSAL named ‘boards’. But trying to load a scenario from the Master SSF brings up a message of “Bad Data In Module, Board Not Found, Unable to Build Board, LOS engine disabled” - although the units, special rules, and turn track for the scenario do appear below, but at that point, no board is present even if I previously loaded one. I have the Master SFF files in their own folder also within VASSAL. What am I doing wrong?

Also, any chance the module - and all its many add-ons/expansions - will be converted to 3.2 format in the not too distant future, so that I don’t need to keep a separate copy of 3.1.20 installed just for the purpose of using the module? Thanks.

Tony

Thus spake JulianTA:

Also, any chance the module - and all its many add-ons/expansions - will
be converted to 3.2 format in the not too distant future, so that I
don’t need to keep a separate copy of 3.1.20 installed just for the
purpose of using the module?

VSQL depends on some code from VASL, which is being converted now.
Brent, the module maintainer for VSQL, is waiting on us to finish.

J.

Good to hear. Thanks for the information. Any advice on the first issue, getting the Master SSF to work correctly?

Tony

Thus spake JulianTA:

Good to hear. Thanks for the information. Any advice on the first
issue, getting the Master SSF to work correctly?

Sorry, I don’t know anything about the first issue.

J.

93 views total, most of them not mine or the guy working on the conversion of the SL module for version 3.2, so it seems that there are a number interested in this subject but apparently none with the answer. Doesn’t someone know how to get the scenario files to work correctly, or if they can’t be made to work, can someone state this and explain why the files are still inlcuded for download among the other module files? Thanks.

Tony

Thus spake JulianTA:

93 views total, most of them not mine or the guy working on the
conversion of the SL module for version 3.2, so it seems that there are
a number interested in this subject but apparently none with the answer.
Doesn’t someone know how to get the scenario files to work correctly,
or if they can’t be made to work, can someone state this and explain why
the files are still inlcuded for download among the other module files?
Thanks.

Tony

I tried scenario SQL-TAHGC-001. I believe the problem you’re having is
that you don’t have the boards in the boards directory. (E.g, the
scenario I tried requires bd00.)

You can find the boards here:

docs.google.com/View?id=ddbmp44t_157ddkzfpdj

J.

I appreciate the attempt to help and the information that the scenarios will work under the right circumstances. There’s a lot of choices at the VASL Map Bazaar that you provided the link for. Since I want to play basic Squad Leader at this point, I downloaded the first choice, bds 00-09, and extracted them into the folder ‘boards’ within the Vassal folder. But I still get the same results when I attempt to load a scenario - board not found, unable to build map, etc.

Can you, or anyone, please tell me if the various folders need to be in any particular position relative to each other or the files within the folders combined in any manner? I mean by this that within the Vassal folder where I have the VSQL module file, I also have separate folders for the VSQL-SSF-Master-v4196 files, boards_v4, boards_v5 (previously downloaded from the VASSAL module page for the program) and also one for boards, where I extracted the bds 00-09 into from the VASL Map Bazaar. I have preferences for the module set now to go to the boards folder to choose a board and if I start a new game and choose a board, the board appears withouth problem. But if I choose to load a saved game (i.e. a scenario) file, then the problem about not finding the board recurs.

Do I need perhaps to extract the board files into the same folder with the scenario files? Could you, or anyone who can get the scenarios to load properly, take a look and let me know exactly how the files/folders are arranged on your system? Maybe this will give me the answer to the problem. Thanks.

Tony

Figured it out, finally, with a little experimentation. I believe it’s as simple as loading a saved game (scenario), which will bring up the “unable to build board” error message, and at that point choosing "preferences and setting the path to the folder where the boards are kept. I did that, closed the program, then reopened and loaded a saved game and the board was finally there with everything in place.

I actually first made a new folder within VASSAL, labeled Scenarios, copied the SL saved scenario files into it, then within the Scenario folder, made another folder labeled boards, into which I copied the board files that I was directed to in response to my post here, but I doubt all these steps are necessary. When I get a chance, I’ll try it without the exta steps and post whether it worked.

Since I see there are a fair number of views for this subject, I’m assuming there are others who have been having the same problem, so hopefully this will solve it for you as well. Maybe posting this simple direction with the scenarios on the module page might be a good idea.

Tony

My last ruminations on this subject. It doesn’t matter where the folder containing the board files is located (i.e. it doesn’t have to be “nested” within the scenario folder), as long as the path is set under Preferences after you’ve loaded one of the saved scenario files (and after you’ve done so, you have to close the game and then reload a scenario).

On the other hand, apparently not all of the board files will work with the saved scenario files. The two sets of boards that I downloaded from the VSQL web page within VASSAL - boards_custom_wjs_v5.zip and boards_custom_wjs_v4_v01.zip - do not seem to work with at least the SL scenarios at all. The boards I download from the VASL Map Bazaar site - bds 00-09 - do work in general, but only SL scenarios 1, 2, 3, 7, and 10 provide you with a functioning LOS tool. The remainder of the SL scenarios show the maps, units, and scenario information correctly, but also give the error message “LOS engine disabled… could not read bd02.map”. I tested it and the LOS does not function with these scenarios.

I haven’t tested any of the other board sets or any of the other scenarios for the expansions to SL much less any of the ASL stuff. There are many different board downloads available both on the VSQL module page and at VASL Map Bazaar. If any of them are the specific, optimal set of board files apporpriate for use with the scenario files, and anyone knows which is which, it would be nice if this information was eventually posted, along with the very simple instrutions needed to get the scenario files to work, on the VSQL module page along with the VSQL-SSF-Master-Listing.zip file and/or within the Help Files section.

Hope this information has been of help to at least some of you.

Tony