Support totaliser in ordinary dice button component

Symbolic Dice component allows reporting of the dice total through the report property numericalTotal.

For some reason, the ordinary Dice Button component allows total reporting via a checkbox but it is not possible to report individual results and the total on the same line; the report properties do not include a total.

So this request is that the ordinary dice button should allow the report property numericalTotal just as the symbolic dice component does.

Reference thread: Individual and total scores on Dice Rolls - #11 by mike0liver

Reasonable. Additionally, I think the ordinary dice button should provide the result1, result2, … resultn values that Symbolic Dice provide. Bring the two into line and provide maximum flexibility.

That would seem to be exactly what I’m looking for - plus the ability to apply modifiers to the total of however many dice are being rolled (not individually, only to the total). The module I am designing is for “Down with the King” - an old Avalon Hill game from the late 70s/early 80s. If you’re familiar with it, you’ll probably understand why I want the facility and I imagine there will be others. I appreciate your involvement.

You mean like this:

Added DiceButton to provide numericTotal and result# values for report format · Issue #10509 · vassalengine/vassal · GitHub

1 Like

Yes, Brent - at least, partially like that. The only problem with the form you show is that it won’t also report the individual die scores if you check the “Report total” total tickbox. Which is really the nub of the issue; as you will be aware - I was seeking both.

I think you are reviewing my request and deciding on whether to incorporate it as part of the design facilities, so I shall watch this space with interest. Thanks for getting involved. I think there’s a long term gain in the change.

I think Brent’s proposal is to also return individual results, as in result1, result2 etc.

Yes, I believe so. It would be exactly what I want - both individual dice scores and the combined total with the opportunity for players to modify the total.

Please try the build VASSAL-3.6.0-SNAPSHOT-6fb730b-10506-Dice_Results

And see if that does what you want. Reference manualis updated. Added $numericResult$ and $result1$, $result2$ etc. The old $result$ just does what it did before.

Glad to see the die roller getting some attention…

I hope (someday soon), we can get the ability to counter relevant rolls (e.g., 4-6, 5-6) for game that require rolling a LOT of dice (e.g., Europe Engulfed is often rolling 40-80 dice and players have to manually count how many 6s, 5s & 6s, etc…).

How do you envisage that working?

Would something like a set of report format variables $count1$, $count2$, …$Countn$ be enough where $count1$ is the number of 1’s rolled, $count$6$ is the number of 6’s rolled? That would be a snap to implement.

1 Like

Option to keep largest N Dice/smallest N dice/die rolls less than N/die rolls greater than N

Then $nDice$ value stays the same, but $keepDice$ returns the number kept. Everything else stays the same.

Hey Brent, thanks for the reply!

I originally thought that a lower and upper bound could be defined (e.g., lower = 5 & upper =6) and define a new variable $relevantrolls$ for any rolls lower <= die <= upper.

However, an option as you describe that simply provides the number of each die face rolled would work also… (e.g., 10 dice rolled: 1s = 2; 2s = 2; 3s = 2; 4s = 0; 5s = 1; 6s = 3)

Anything that saves my eyes from having to count 50-100 die rolls looking for 6s (or 5s & 6s), would be much appreciated!

BTW - the “sort” feature is a huge help even with the current die roller, without it I don’t think my eyes could have even tried to handle counting 80 die rolls looking for 6s… :stuck_out_tongue:

This is more or less what I am working on. I have only ever seen How may 4-6? or 5-6? Or 1’s? I don’t think I have ever seen how many 3-4’s.

1 Like

Have a play with build VASSAL-3.6.0-SNAPSHOT-f2a475c-10506-Dice_Results. Doco is incomplete (tomorrow). Use $keepCount$ to report the number of dice that met the keep criteria.

Hi Brent -

For the (mostly block) games that involve rolling a lot of dice, you are generally looking for either high or low numbers, nothing in the middle.

So while I can imagine a use case for wanting something more flexible (e.g., count 4-5 & 7 on a d10), I think being able to count <=, ==, >= (which I’m guessing are the logical tests in the drop down example you showed), should satisfy 95+% of all potential use cases and 100% of what I need for block games…

So thank you!!!

I will test this later today… :>

The $keepCount$ appears to work fine, however $result$ is not displaying correctly (it displays zeros). Tested w/ 64bit Windows version…

*** Roll 6 50 (d6 + 0) = 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 *** MATCHES 8

** $name$ $nDice$ (d$nSides$ + $plus$) = $result$ *** MATCHES $keepCount$ <$playerName$>

BTW - when “prompting” for player input for rolls, it would be helpful if the module designer could enable/disable each of the 4 fields independently…

For instance, I want to give players the ability to roll however many dice they want/need to, but I don’t want them changing the die-sides, addition per die, or addition to total…

The “locked” fields could either be hidden or (better) displayed (but not changeable)…

I’ve just pushed a new version that adds the documentation and adds 2 extra global variables to record the numericTotal and the keepCount. I re-wrote the reporting part and this seems to have fixed the reporting of 0’s you describe.

The optional locking of the prompt attributes is a good idea, I’ll have a look at that later.

Hi Brent:
I’ve checked out the link you provided and was confronted with dozens of downloadable files bearing that reference but I’ve no idea which one(s) to download. If I do download and run this, will it overwrite my V 3.5.8 files - I’d rather not do that right now?

Cheers,
Mike

You’d need to download the file relevant for your system. If you are using Windows, it is most likely the Windows 64bit build that you need. Search for the first entry in the list (assuming its in desending date order) that has the name ending 10506-Dice_Results-windows-x86_64.exe

If you are not using Windows or using a very old Windows PC, ask again.

As for over-writing, Vassal installs do not over-write, but you’d need to know how to switch between them. I can advise concerning Mac but I’ll leave PC support to someone else.