Sword of Rome (GMT) - Planning 5 Player Rework

Game Piece Layers now working (3 layers, one for Units/Leaders, One for PC/Loyalty and one for Info and Markers), able to toggle these on/off via toolbars.

Also have Event Markers responding (activating layers) to Global Key Commands - triggered by Toolbar commands now - later on card event play. Global Properties updating dependent upon display of Event Marker (set to active = true/false when displayed/not displayed). Using Prototypes to inherit common behaviour for Event Markers to avoid repetitious definition of traits.

Having fun now! :smiley:

Need to knuckle down now and replicate all the at-start-stacks for every Event Marker, and figure out how to have the cycling of PC Marker Layers reflect as controlling side information - ground work for VP calculations and further implementation of mechanics/rules later on.

More questions later I’m sure.

Com.

Speaking from painful experience, I recommend you get one stack working exactly as you want and only then go into mass production mode. Going back and editing them all because you forgot one little thing is no bueno. :frowning:

Good advice. I had come to the same conclusion. Now completed a representative set of Event Markers (those with on-map and player copies - eg Appian Way), and those with similar behaviour for multiple players (eg Wild Beasts).

Now time to tackle the PC/Loyalty at start stack behaviours.

Am trying to create reusable prototypes wherever possible/sensible. Also, to minimise impact of future changes and additions.

Furyn (or others)

I’ve just determined how to get the Turn Counter to interact with the rest of the game to reflect the status onto the on-map Turn and Action Round Tracks (focus dicussion on Action Round Track now). As you suggested I created a Zone with a rectangular grid to model each location for the Action Rounds in the Track. I then created At-Start-Stacks for the markers and located them (x,y) in the grid (using snap to grid). In conjunction I created A global hotkey to capture changes in state of the Turn Counter, to send a Hotkey when I wanted it to (action rounds started). At this point I struggled to figure out how to connect the Hotkey to Trigger trait for the counter in the At-Start-Stack. I settled on using a toolbar button to capture the hotkey and forward a Global key Command, which triggers the updates to the action round at-start-stack counters via a layer.

Is this the best way to do this - i.e. connect condition in the Turn Counter to other behaviour in the model?

Is there a way to have a counter respond directly to a Global Hotkey generated from the Turn Counter?

If not, is this a feature, bug or constraint in VASSAL (3.2.5)? If a constraint - I’d be happy to put this into a feature request. :open_mouth:

Thanks

Com

I’m afraid you’re adventuring further then I have up to this point. I don’t have an answer for you. Sorry. But maybe Joel will pop back in and save the day.

Thanks for checking back! Was afraid this thread was dying … :cry:

I have actually had my query answered in a separate thread. See [url]The Turn Counter, Global Hotkeys and Global Key Commands], which I think pretty much confirms the a above theory. Hope you find this useful also.

Thanks to Brent Easton!

Just thought anyone following the thread might like to know progress, here below is the quick update.

Currently I have implemented:

• Most Event counters (e.g. Appian Way, etc) displaying/appearing (and set as Global Properties) on a trigger (Global Key Command) which can be connected to a card play for event (later). Also mechanisms to Cancel Events either from card play or selection of menu item on counter when displayed
  • All regions and locations set on the Sword Of Rome Map (Added new zone for Alliances)
  • A Turn Counter which implements 9 Turns, 11 Phases and the 5 Play Cards Action Rounds
  • Mechanics to establish the starting player for the action round and display of this players marker next to the Action Round.
  • Mechanics to exclude players from Action Round sequence for 2-4 player game
  • Started Completed the display of marker counters and increment of the action round where these appear based on the use of the turn counter, and player sequence. Associated reporting.
  • Ditto for the Turn Track. Associated reporting.
  • Started the display of PC/loyalty markers on Map in regions. Have now achieved the following behaviours:
  • Selection of PC/Loyalty markers using SHIFT Click (due to separation of layers), to assist with separation of counter management, distinct from units/leaders.
  • Initial counter is transparent to enable display of the underlying map for initial control and Loyalty Rating
  • Menu (SHIFT Right Click) to perform
    – Change in Control of PC Marker (all powers & independent)
    –Ability to change Roman PC Marker to Roman Walled City (support Roman special ability
    –Ability to increase or reduce loyalty in range 1-3 once Walled City present), but Gaul, T-Gaul or independent can only be max 1
    –Change in Control of Walled City Marker (all powers & independent)
    –If Walled City Changed to Gaul, T-Gaul or independent Loyalty Rating set to 1 (regardless)
    –Ability to set siege marker to 0-2 & Lifted on walled city only (no validation against loyalty rating – not sure if warranted)
    –Siege markers when active offset (left and above)
  • Separation of PC/Loyalty Markers into a separate layer from units leaders, so can toggle display to show map without units leaders, but with active PC/Loyalty markers (also, PC/Loyalty markers do not stack with units/leaders for ease of unit/leader movement)
  • New splash with SoR Deluxe Box Artwork
  • Plunder Track management including recognition of 5 markers (for either Gaul and TA-Gaul), subsequent reset of markers to 0 and notification of impact to VP track for Gaul. Driven by adjustment marker and right click menu. Associated reporting.
  • Carthaginian Unrest Track (turned out complex!) including calculation of penalty for Cards and VPs, taking into account the Africa Garrison (Value Hard Coded at this stage), flag to disable is Unrest increased by NPA Card Play this turn round, and a reset on start of new turn. Driven by an adjustment marker, with right click menu. Associated reporting. Reporting updated to differentiate an unrest track change and a status report.
  • Completed Victory Track (just Roman/Gaul on 5/6 VP), driven from right click menu on VP adjustment marker. Ability to either Set VP Value, or increment/decrement. Automatic update of display when changed. Associated reporting.
  • Completed connection of VP adjustment from Plunder Track to VP Track – up or down when 5 Plunder reached
  • Adjusted reporting – polishing
  • Added Dice Rolling Icons/Toolbars
  • Started on other toolbars that will needed later.

Started on Card Artwork and associated layering.

• Downloaded and Installed GIMP2.8
  • Matt successfully requested for all card and counter artwork from GMT – WD Matt!

Dropbox SOR 2 Work Area established

• All artefacts now present in Dropbox, including GMT artwork, GIMP Projects, VASSAL Module, Documentation
  • Working from Dropbox for automatic backups (pausing synching during development)

Next on the list are:

• Complete the Management of default (starting) PC/Loyalty counters and changes for adding/removing support (complex task)
  • Optimise the structure of the prototypes for best re-use and maintenance
  • Include Tribal Spaces and Subjugation behaviours
  • Establish method for all at start stacks
    –Different powers
    –Walled Cities with different starting loyalty ratings
  • Completed the tie in of PC/Loyalty Counters to VP calculation and trigger from turn counter
  • Identify Markers that can be cancelled
  • Complete Event Markers
  • Figure out how to manage counters in/around regions and cities, e.g. siege, blockade, battles (2 x powers)
  • Add temporary event markers, e.g. Volscii and TA-Gaul activation,
  • Slice and dice of counter artwork to individual images (Matt??) – big job
  • Further work on the Card Layering (Tim and Matt??) – big job
  • Clean up GlobalHotKey/GlobalKeyCommand Toolbar connectors

On the horizon are:

• Establishing/renewing alliances
  • Everything Units and Leaders
  • Everything Cards – ideas about how to structure this is welcome
  • Toolbar to enable display of players number of DTs and Cards in hand.
  • Toolbar to enable display of Player Aids
  • Managing differences due to different number of players in game
  • Other Toolbars …
  • YouTube instructional video 
  • Playing SOR V2!

Phew!

Thanks to those who have been helping along the way.

Com.

I would think long and hard about this. Using the Does Not Stack trait with the “hold shift to select” option is really non-intuitive for users, and you will constantly have people posting asking why they can’t manipulate PC markers. No matter how well you document it, my experience is that people won’t read it.

Putting PC markers in a distinct Game Piece Layer from everything else will prevent stacking, keep them drawing below units reliably, and avoid the “hold the Shift key” thing. Just my 2 cents…

Joel

I think you are right. I changed it just now and you lose nothing allowing normal click to select. +1 to playability, which is what this update is all about after all. :smiley:

Having them set to Does not stack - Move = Never, pretty much solves it.

Sounds like you are making terrific progress. Can you be more specific about what you mean by the ones I bolded? I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking. Maybe try describing how you think you’d like these things to work.

Thanks for the update. I gotta say it all sounds very promising. Good job :slight_smile:

Hi Joel

• Establishing/renewing alliances
    For alliances, I think I will have an at start stack at each alliance box, and allow players to simply click them on and off. Further controls could be added in terms of when a player should be able to make alliances, and also have the rest of the game understand this through a set of global properties - but this is probably not mandatory for the first working version

• Everything Units and Leaders
    For Units and Leaders, this is a bit more complex. Simplest is to have a vsav for each setup, and counter tabs to hold pieces to add during the game. I am considering having this all driven from a set of menus to allow units and leaders to be added via right click - not sure whether this is the best way. As for leaders, some special handling is required to allow for arrival of leaders via card events, displacement, etc. Also, I need to replicate the randomisation of Roman Consuls in the reinforcement phase. So this is a bit trickier.

• Everything Cards – ideas about how to structure this is welcome
    For Cards I was thinking of a single mapboard with all the card decks and discard and remove piles. Hoping to have the game manage the deck dealing, shuffling and right click to play card (to the mapboard) then allow player to play for ops etc from there. As per TS then have the advance the turn counter to then send the card(s) in play automatically to the correct pile. Some card events will result in arrival of units and leaders, effect events (with associated game status and markers). There is much possible here, but you get the idea I’m sure. Oh and each player has a private hand or hands. Card design will be layered using prototypes as per TS example which is an excellent example of re-use and is a way to build each card both visually and behaviourally with the visuals confirming the definition of each card, i.e. the stuff you can’t see easily!

• Managing differences due to different number of players in game
    Different number of players in the game imply different setup, and restrictions. e.g. 5P game has Carthage as a player and additional cards, VP spaces etc. Need to determine a mechanism to effect these differences dependent upon the number of players (game type) selected. This is the one that scares me the most as I am concerned this will break some of the work done to date which is aimed at the 5P version. I guess its hard to plan for this and know which techniques will work ok in these situations and which ones will generate a bunch of rework! This will be another VASSAL Learning experience!

I guess I am after some guidance here rather than specifics (they will be needed :confused: ), but whatever you feel you would like to contribute will be taken on board.

Thanks again for your interest and support,

Com

thanks. its slow going at times, but there has been the occasional ‘Yes’ moment with a fist pump! :smiley:

Just checking in. How goes the grand experiment?

Things have been a bit slow of late.

Work and life in general has been very busy, and focusing on some other gaming projects.

Unfortunately, one of our gaming group involved with our regular VASSAL gaming events recently died unexpectedly and so has reduced my enthusiasm for the task. However I will get back to it soon.

Thanks for checking in and look out for some progress soon.

comdotski

When you get back to the SoR project I’d love to see how it turns out but I can understand taking a break from it. I’m sorry to hear about your friend. A tragedy like that can understandably take the energy out of a project.

Well, its been a while, but I’m now back to the task. I’ve decided to focus on the graphics first and have used GIMP and the files supplied by the friendly and cooperative guys at GMT to generate the layer artwork for the counters and cards. No small task!

My question is what format to save the graphics in?

Are there better formats for quality vs saving space?

I am using the layering technique for the cards (and associated use of markers and prototypes) used in the the TS module to minimise the amount of graphics in the module while still achieving some reasonably faithful graphics.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thus spake comdotski:

Well, its been a while, but I’m now back to the task. I’ve decided to
focus on the graphics first and have used GIMP and the files supplied by
the friendly and cooperative guys at GMT to generate the layer artwork
for the counters and cards. No small task!

My question is what format to save the graphics in?

In what format are you receiving the artwork?

J.

Hi Joel

Original artwork is in jpg format.

Tim

Thus spake comdotski:

Hi Joel

Original artwork is in jpg format.

That’s too bad. I was hoping you were getting it in a vector format
(SVG or PDF) instead of as a bitmap.

What are the dimensions like? E.g., how many pixels on a side is a
card in the artwork you have?

J.