Talon Module issue?

Friends and I have played dozens of different VASSAL modules together and we all use my MUMBLE server for communication.

The Talon module is already “laggy” in general meaning when you drag a counter you have to wait a bit before it moves/updates.

If I play an offline game everything seems fine other than the above lagginess. If we get on to play with someone else, as soon as someone starts talking in Mumble the entire game locks up and just stops working for some. This has never happened in any other module we have played in the last 10 years.

The only error I see in the errorlog is this:

2018-06-09 09:28:44,356 [0-IPC receiver for 24776267] ERROR VASSAL.tools.ipc.IPCMessageReceiver -
java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_131]
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$PeekInputStream.peek(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_131]
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.peek(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_131]
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.peekByte(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_131]
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_131]
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_131]
at VASSAL.tools.ipc.IPCMessageReceiver.run(IPCMessageReceiver.java:34) ~[Vengine.jar:na]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_131]

I don’t know about Mumble, but Talon for sure uses a lot of memory. Each piece has like a dozen layers, each with multiple levels, to reproduce all the info in the right place on the piece.

All I can suggest is to try to increase heap size in Preferences->General and see if that helps.

Stefano Tine’

P.S. You can reach me faster via boardgamegeek forum, I am “barbanera” there as well.