The African Campaign DSE counter errors

First, is this the appropriate forum for pointing out vmod errors? If so, then I have two for The African Campaign: Designer Signature Edition.

1. In the initial setup, there is a duplicate Italian Sirte division in Tobruk.

2. Neither of the German 5-7 divisions (90th and 164th) are able to take step losses beyond the first one. Thus, the 90th drops only to the 4-6 step, while the 164th drops only to the 3-6 step.

You’re more likely to get a response if you contact the module author directly (they usually include an e-mail link on the module’s Wiki page, and not all of them follow the forums). If they don’t have contact info, then, yes, this is the best forum.

Did that, and I finally have a partial response. In the meantime I fixed both of the issues and have a v1.5 ready to go. How does one submit a new module rev?

Apparently no one else has noticed or cares that these errors exist. The duplicate Sirte XX is easy to bypass, but the two German XXs must be fixed to play the game at all.

It’s been quite a few years since I played this one…
I fixed the problems by addind the images which I think you’ve already figured out.
TAC
Not the best but it worked.
(didn’t know how to add layers at the time).
I’d be interested to get my hands on your V1.5.
Dropbox?

Make edits to the module wiki page to reflect the new version, adding a new entry to the page’s module files table (see the page creation/editing reference) and upload the module file itself. Both the file upload and the page edits go through moderation before you’ll see them.

Thanks for the reply, but none of that makes any sense. I’ve read through it multiple times, checked every link, but apparently having four college degrees is not enough to comprehend this procedure.

Hi Yves,
The images were present in the vmod but the option to allow for a four-step unit was switched off. Is that what you found as well?

Hi Paul,

Yes, that was the problem. It would not cycle through all the steps.
You might want to open the module editor and find the guilty units.
90,164,15Pz and 21Pz.

Under layers, uncheck the follow expression value.

This will take you to another menu.
Be sure to enter a key command.

Save and you should be good to go.
What I find odd…right click no longer works to increase/decrease levels.
I prefer using the keyboard anyways.

I just had a quick look at the module, and while your hack for the 90th and 164th works, the “correct” way to fix them (without breaking the right-click menu options) is to alter the Dynamic Property - Steps instead of Layer - Steps. You just need to change the Maximum Value from 2 to 4.

I don’t see what the problem is with the Panzers (they have 6 steps and appear to all be available); can you explain? Edit: nevermind, I just tried actually changing their steps in game, and won’t lose more than 1 step. Trying to find the problem now…

2nd Edit: I was looking at the wrong pieces. I still don’t see the problem with the Panzers (but I don’t know the game, so I may be missing something).

I’ve sent an email to Compass Games, pointing them to this thread. Hopefully they can fix the issue to prevent future recurrence.
(But don’t hold your breath for them to fix it. You know how it goes with publishers.)

JR,
It’s been well over 5 years since I played this game. It’s quite possible one of the older module had the problem with the Pz.
The step reduction for those two guys works with v1.4
But hey! Thanks a bunch for the tip about dynamic properties.
I’ll be sure to give it a go. :+1:

As for compass fixing anything in regards to Vassal…good luck.
They still can’t get things right even with a so called “Designer Edition”
Always stand by for multiple erratas with them guys…map, counters, rules ect.

Just did the dynamic properties trick Jonathan suggested.
Works great!!!
Thanks again.

1 Like