The Legend of Robin Hood

I’m using Vassal version 2.7 on a mac with Java 1.4.2_12.

I have successfully loaded the modules for Ancients and Solitaire Caesar, but when I try to load the module for The Legend of Robin Hood, I get a message which says ‘info’ not found in The legend of Robin Hood.mod

What am I doing wrong? And how do I fix this problem? This is my first few hours of using Vassal, so I am probably making a basic mistake.

Hope someone can help with this as I love this game.

Thus spake “Kim”:

Is Java 1.5 (or 1.6) available for your version of Mac OS X? If so, you
should use that and upgrade to VASSAL 3.1.0-beta8. VASSAL 2.7 is ancient.
If you can do this, it might solve your problem.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

I’m running Panther. Sadly, the highest version of Java which Apple have for that OS is 1.4.2_12.

I have taken a peek inside some modules, and I’ve noticed that those which I can load successfully each have a text file named info. Those which will not load lack such a file.

What is that for? Is it a description of the starting set-up? Can this ‘missing’ file be added to modules?

Thus spake “Kim”:

You should be able to upgrade to VASSAL 2.9.9, at least. That’s the last
version before we started requiring Java 1.5+.

I don’t know what that’s for. I believe we stopped creating that file in
in new modules at some point. Rodney would know what its purpose was.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

I’ve just updated to 2.9.9 at your suggestion. Thanks for that.

However, it doesn’t solve the problem with loading The Legend of Robin Hood. There is still an info not found message.

Is it a case of my being able to use only a limited range of modules because of using an older version of Vassal? :frowning:

The ‘info’ file contains information used by commercial modules. However, versions earlier than 3.0 require the file to be present even if the module is not commercial. Modules created with version 3.0 and later won’t have this file, so you’ll get this error opening them with v2.9.9.

Bottom line is that when running v2.9, you’re limited to modules created with v2.9 and earlier. That’s just what you’d expect, although the error message is definitely more cryptic than it ought to be.

rk