Turn Tracker bugs

One thing that would help bug #1 (but is more of a feature request), would be if turn trackers had the ability for the module designer to specify their behavior:

1. Always Dock (cannot be undocked)
  2. Always un-docked (cannot be docked)
  3. Flexible - start docked
  4. Flexible - start undocked
  5. Flexible - use player preference

An additional thought… The existence of right click functionality is somewhat non-obvious…

So maybe it should display as:
Tool-Tip Text
Right Click to Configure

1 Like

Here’s a PR which corrects #2a: Show correct Turn Tracker tooltip by uckelman · Pull Request #11315 · vassalengine/vassal · GitHub

I finally understand what you mean by #1. That’s not a bug; it’s working as designed.

#2 is also not a bug. There’s just no provision beyond the tooltip for showing the name of a docked turn tracker.

Regarding #3: I think you have the wrong counter in your example. “Ally ASW Level” is numeric and unbounded.

For #3 and #4, I think your saved games are messed up. I’ll bet it would work correctly if you recreated them.

OK, but IMHO the fact that they are in a toolbar should not lead to dramatically different behavior.
Preference to dock checked - ALL open and dock
Preference to dock not checked - NONE open until each is clicked.

This is very inconsistent behavior, again IMHO.

My expectation is that the fact that they are in a toolbar, means that each should be clicked to bring up each turn counter and the preference setting should control only where they appear - either docked or undocked.

Again, this doesn’t matter (much) for a single counter, but is a major problem for using multiples.

Bug #3 used “New Scenario” which does NOT have a saved game associated with it.

The below shows this graphically.

1. Open New Game offline

2. Select New Scenario
    (ensure that all the counters aren’t showing up docked, if they are are uncheck the user preference and try again. Note this seems to randomly toggle on/off for this game w/ all these counter - yet another bug IMHO)

3. Select S-track: Turn (1st entry) appears undocked

4. Select S-track: Ally ASW Level (2nd entry). This will appear on top of the previous undocked counter. Drag to right.

5. Right click on TURN (see image below)

6. Click on DOCK (see image below). TURN docks correctly.

7. Right click on ALLY ASW LEVEL. Note it says UNDOCK. (see image below)

8. If you click on UNDOCK (for Ally ASW Level), it undocks TURN.

They aren’t isolated from one another.

The more I play with this, the more bugs I find w/ multiple turn counters…

I think the Turn Tracker simply wasn’t designed to work correctly when instantiated multiply.

In case anyone decides to work on this: The “docked” configurer has only one key shared among all the turn trackers, which is likely the cause of the docking problem.

I agree, I saw it work flawlessly when using one and many problems when using more than one.

That is why I recommended limiting it to using exactly one and then branching a similar capability that is designed for multiple use.

I highly recommend that the documentation mention this limitation and recommendation to only use a single turn tracker until & unless this is addressed.

1 Like