Unable to Select Player Side

Memory: 16GB
Vassal: 3.7.6
Module: Malifaux, Module:Malifaux - Vassal

When joining another person’s created game online there is typically a pop up allowing the player to select the side they wish to join (Player 1, Player 2, Observer). I am not getting that pop up when I join, and you can only play when assigned a position of Player 1 or Player 2. Please help!

Thanks!

Can you verify that you have a module password set? You do not want it to be blank. Open the module, then File → Preferences → Personal tab.

Confirmed, I do have a password set.

OK, next question: were there already 2 or more users in the game when you joined? If the Player 1 and Player 2 sides were already claimed by others, you would automatically be slotted into observer status. That would be one explanation for not seeing the side chooser dialog.

Nope! It was just myself and the person who created the room - I was the second person to join. I also did try joining other lobbies that had 2 players to try and get the Observer slot, but never got the pop up either (though maybe it wouldn’t have popped up in that case if its automatic).

For what its worth, I did get the pop up when I created my own game - so they aren’t entirely gone, just when joining other games.

Thank you for looking into this with me!

My only other thought is that the creator of the room had not yet started a new game or chosen a scenario. If they just have a room open, that’s not the same as actually starting a game. And you are correct, if you jump into a game room that already has 2 players occupying the player sides, you will not see a dialog–you automatically take observer status.