Upgrading to a newer version of Java

I’ve been banging my head against the wall for a few weeks now to have a test build working with a version of Java newer than Java 8. Just a few minutes ago I solved the last major issue I know of, which was working around the fact that the classes we use to play sound were deprecated and then removed after Java 8.

Expect a test build sometime this week.

Hooray!

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 4:40 PM uckelman uckelman@nomic.net wrote:

I’ve been banging my head against the wall for a few weeks now to have a
test build working with a version of Java newer than Java 8. Just a few
minutes ago I solved the last major issue I know of, which was working
around the fact that the classes we use to play sound were deprecated
and then removed after Java 8.

Expect a test build sometime this week.


Read this topic online here:
Upgrading to a newer version of Java


messages mailing list
messages@vassalengine.org
vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages

Test build:

vassalengine.sourceforge.net/builds/

3.2.18-svn9251 is compiled with Java 11 to work with Java 9 or later. It WILL NOT work with anything less than Java 9.

Please give this build a try and let me know what you find.

I have tried version VASSAL-3.2.18-svn9251 with a freshly-installed JDK SE 11, and upon launching VASSAL I get an error pop-up with the following error message:
This application requires a Java Runtime Environment 1.5.0

Thus spake GianniVacca:

I have tried version VASSAL-3.2.18-svn9251 with a freshly-installed
JDK SE 11, and upon launching VASSAL I get an error pop-up with the
following error message:
This application requires a Java Runtime Environment 1.5.0

We need more details to know what went wrong, such as what OS you’re
using, how you’re launching VASSAL, and what’s in the errorLog.

–
J.

such as what OS you’re using

Win7 Professional

how you’re launching VASSAL

I’ve tried both double-clicking on the icon, and entering the following in a cmd window:
java -jar Vengine.jar

and what’s in the errorLog.

When I use the command line I only have the following:
VASSAL: IO error
java.io.IOException
at VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager.main(ModuleManager.java:164)
Caused by: java.nio.channels.OverlappingFileLockException
at sun.nio.ch.SharedFileLockTable.checkList(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.SharedFileLockTable.add(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.tryLock(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.channels.FileChannel.tryLock(Unknown Source)
at VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager.main(ModuleManager.java:161)

Is there more I can find somewhere?