VASSAL 3.2.9-svn8952 launch on Mac

hi

I have VASSAL 3.2.8 on my Mac. The module Invasion of Malta 1942 has a graphics rendering problem when I view the mapboard.

My opponent told me this is solved by updating to VASSAL 3.2.9-svn8952. He has done this for his Windows PC.

I download VASSAL 3.2.9-svn8952 for Mac, and try to launch it, and nothing happens. The VASSAL icon appears on the bottom row of icons, and then disappears. I don’t see any message in my error log. The end of this message has a copy of my error log.

VASSAL 3.2.8 launches fine.

Thanks for your support.

Kurt

Details of my computer:

Macintosh MacBook Pro
Mac OS X 10.6.8
Java Version 1.6.0_65
trying to launch VASSAL 3.2.9-svn8952

Error Log after trying to launch 3.2.9-svn8952

2013-12-01 17:16:44,639 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - Starting
2013-12-01 17:16:44,647 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - OS Mac OS X 10.6.8
2013-12-01 17:16:44,647 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - Java version 1.6.0_65
2013-12-01 17:16:44,647 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - VASSAL version 3.2.8
2013-12-01 17:16:44,967 [0-AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager - Manager
2013-12-01 17:16:56,012 [0-AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO VASSAL.launch.ModuleManagerWindow - Exiting

Thus spake kvn:

hi

I have VASSAL 3.2.8 on my Mac. The module Invasion of Malta 1942 has a
graphics rendering problem when I view the mapboard.

My opponent told me this is solved by updating to VASSAL 3.2.9-svn8952.
He has done this for his Windows PC.

I download VASSAL 3.2.9-svn8952 for Mac, and try to launch it, and
nothing happens. The VASSAL icon appears on the bottom row of icons,
and then disappears. I don’t see any message in my error log. The end
of this message has a copy of my error log.

What happens if you use “open” to run the app bundle from the command
line?

J.

hi

I used a Terminal Window, and typed the command:

open VASSAL-3.2.9-svn8952.app

After hitting return, the exact same thing happened; the VASSAL Icon appeared on the bottom row of applications on my screen. It then disappeared after 1 second. My error log has no record of this activity.

Regards

Kurt

Thus spake kvn:

hi

I used a Terminal Window, and typed the command:

open VASSAL-3.2.9-svn8952.app

After hitting return, the exact same thing happened; the VASSAL Icon
appeared on the bottom row of applications on my screen. It then
disappeared after 1 second. My error log has no record of this activity.

Download the generic bundle:

vassalengine.sourceforge.net/bui … -other.zip

Unzip it, and run VASSAL.sh from the command line. What happens?

J.

I downloaded the bundle. I opened a terminal window. I changed directory to the location of the files downloaded.

typed VASSAL.sh in the terminal window.

‘Command not found’

Shell- New Command, typed VASSAL.sh in this window.

nothing happens.

I rarely use the command line or the terminal window, so not sure if what I am doing is correct. I am not a programmer.

However, I do know, I have never had to install VASSAL this way, in any of the other versions I have operated (3.2.8., 3.2.7-svn8768, others prior).

Thus spake kvn:

I downloaded the bundle. I opened a terminal window. I changed
directory to the location of the files downloaded.

typed VASSAL.sh in the terminal window.

‘Command not found’

Shell- New Command, typed VASSAL.sh in this window.

nothing happens.

I rarely use the command line or the terminal window, so not sure if
what I am doing is correct. I am not a programmer.

In order to run the shell script, you need to be in the directory
where it is (use “cd” to change directories), then run it as
“./VASSAL.sh”.

However, I do know, I have never had to install VASSAL this way, in any
of the other versions I have operated (3.2.8., 3.2.7-svn8768, others
prior).

This isn’t an install we’re doing, it’s for troubleshooting purposes.

J.

hi

wow, OK great, I was able to launch using the correct syntax you gave me.

This version of VASSAL fixed the mapboard color problem (I did have to clear the Tile Cache, which did not solve problem with 3.2.8).

I closed VASSAL, and then tried to launch 3.2.9-svn8952 using the icon on my desktop (which was there before downloading the bundle.) The icon does not work.

But I can definitely launch 3.2.9-svn8952 using the command in the Terminal Window.

Thank you

Kurt

Thus spake kvn:

hi

wow, OK great, I was able to launch using the correct syntax you gave
me.

This version of VASSAL fixed the mapboard color problem (I did have to
clear the Tile Cache, which did not solve problem with 3.2.8).

I closed VASSAL, and then tried to launch 3.2.9-svn8952 using the icon
on my desktop (which was there before downloading the bundle.) The icon
does not work.

But I can definitely launch 3.2.9-svn8952 using the command in the
Terminal Window.

Please come to the #vassal IRC channel so we can troubleshoot the launch
problem with 3.2.9-svn8952 in realtime:

vassalengine.org/irc.php

bugggg and I are usually there, but not always paying attention, so it
might take a while for us to respond.

J.

Hello;

The following I am absolutely incredulous.

After writing my message about success above the prior evening, I return to VASSAL Thursday Dec.05 2013.

I try to launch 3.2.9. I expect no problems after my message above.

fNow, Error messages about memory cache or something.

I try to launch 3.2.8, and another disaster.

My entire computer locks up, I have to force quit.

I restart the compute, the same.

The software was working yesterday, I have done nothing since yesterday to change the operating enviroment. Since the softwar was working the day prior, I have only shut down my computer and restart.

This is absurd.

Kindest Regards
Kurt

Thus spake kvn:

Hello;

The following I am absolutely incredulous.

After writing my message about success above the prior evening, I return
to VASSAL Thursday Dec.05 2013.

I try to launch 3.2.9. I expect no problems after my message above.

fNow, Error messages about memory cache or something.

When there are error messages, don’t make us guess what they are.
Show us their text. Help us help you.

I try to launch 3.2.8, and another disaster.

My entire computer locks up, I have to force quit.

I restart the compute, the same.

The software was working yesterday, I have done nothing since yesterday
to change the operating enviroment. Since the softwar was working the
day prior, I have only shut down my computer and restart.

This is absurd.

As I said above, please stop by the IRC channel so we can troubleshoot
further.

J.

hi

sorry i was having a very bad day and had to rant after the VASSAL melt down topped it off. My apologies if I came across as not professional. The software is an incredible thing and the support everyone gives is fantastic.

OK let me figure out this IRC channel.

Regards

Kurt

hi

OK, I went to IRC Chat. JoelCFC25 got me back to the point where I can launch VASSAL-3.2.9svn8952, and open the Invasion of Malta 1942 module with a clean mapboard. But he is not sure the Java Heap Size problem will not appear again. Also, we discovered my VASSAL Preferences, General do not appear when I try to look at these.

In addition, the activity we did required my password for the module Invasion of Malta 1942 to join as the Axis, which I don’t recall ever creating. So Joel suggested I send J. Uckelman a saved game file, and he can recover this, so I can continue play an exisiting game as the Axis. How do I send you a saved game file?

regards

Kurt

To clarify, he couldn’t get the Invasion of Malta module to open in VASSAL 3.2.9-svn8952 without VASSAL itself crashing. After viewing his errorLog, I figured that was due to some value in his heap settings for that module that was problematic, and had him remove that module’s preferences from ~/Library/Application Support/VASSAL/prefs/ so it would be recreated when we tried launching the module again.

He has no memory of his previous module password, and says that when the module is open, going to Preferences → General (where I was trying to determine what the heap sizes are) displays as completely blank–i.e., no information of any kind is shown. I find this pretty astonishing and am at a complete loss to explain it.

We left off where he still cannot launch VASSAL 3.2.9-svn8952 by double-clicking the app icon, but it does launch with ./VASSAL.sh (not sure why, but there it is).

As for the Invasion of Malta module, I can confirm that the map board’s colors are all wrong (pinkish) on this Windows 7 PC (64 bit Java 1.7.0_21) in both VASSAL 3.2.8 and VASSAL 3.2.9-svn8952. I extracted the map board image from the module and it looks totally normal to me in GIMP and any other software I use to view it.

EDIT: Sorry for the module password thing, in my attempts to get the module to open at all I forgot to have him copy the module prefs in order to retain the password. Maybe he can recover a previous version of the file using the Mac’s utilities, I’m not sure.

how do I upload a saved game file, so my Invasion of Malta password can be recoverd?

Hit Quick Reply, then change to the Full Editor (button to the right of the Submit button), then look for the Upload Attachment tab on your screen (below the box where you would input the text of your post).

Hi

enclosed is the first file I created with the module Invasion of Malta 1942. I would like to recover my password for the module, so I can join as my side (the Axis).

Regards
Kurt

Try opening this saved game file–it ought to let you join as the Axis player. I loaded the file you posted, joined as Solitaire, looked at the pieces on the Turn Track, and created a brand new game that replicates their positions exactly.

Your opponent would have to re-join as the Allies player when he loads this file for the first time.

hi

I opened this file, and was able to join as the Axis. I sent this initial file, because that was what I thought was needed to recover my password. However, the game has progress past this initial file. Therefore, I should have sent you a more recent file, with the route we are going (you are joining as solitare, and positioning all of the peice positions into a new game). Can I send you a more recent file, and you do the same thing?

But, regardless of the password work around, the same issue has just resurfaced today. I open the Malta module. Then I get a bunch of messages about memory and Java Heap Size. I have to force quite the module and VASSAL, they will not let me close naturally.

I had been able to open Invasion of Malta 1942 with VASSAL-3.2.9svn8952 several times yesterday after our live chat, and I thought the problem was solved. But it has resurfaced.

What to do?

hi

follow on to my previous message, here is a copy of my error log enclosed.

Kurt

hi

another follow on to my previous message. I try to launch VASSAL 3.2.8 after posting the error log above.

VASSAL 3.2.8 cannot launch, with message about memory and Java: “Uncaught exception in main method:java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space”.

So it appears something about the Invasion of Malta module is messing up both VASSAL 3.2.9svn8952 and 3.2.8.

Kurt