The VASSAL Team is happy to announce VASSAL 3.6.8.
- NEW! 64-bit ARM packages: There are now MacOS and Windows packages for 64-bit ARM processors. If you have a Mac with an Apple Silicon CPU (which is a 64-bit ARM processor), we recommend using the 64-bit ARM build.
- Code deprecated more than a year ago has been removed. Modules containing custom code using that code MUST be updated if they are to work with 3.6.
- Things may be broken which worked previously. If you find a new bug, please report it.
- Modules saved in 3.6 are not openable by earlier versions of VASSAL. We recommend keeping a backup copy of any pre-3.6 modules you plan to modify in 3.6 until you’ve verified that everything works to your satisfaction.
- 11778: System.setProperty() in BugDialog throws if the value is null
- 11727: Fixed incorrect properties file path, which prevents working on translations
- 11716: Dereference symbolic link to executable before attemping to find install dir
- 11678: Prevent clearing the tile cache when a module is open
- 11617: Closing a reopenable Map should not close game
- 11565: Global Option List Preferences not initialising Global Property correctly
- 11544: Broken links to and within Reference Manual
- 11543: Closing game should reset multiplayer flag for console
- 11540: Display translated Basic Piece/Basic Name in Scrollable lists in Game Piece Palette
- 11537: Cancel key in Multi-Piece Editor (Edit all contained pieces) correctly backs out with no changes
- 11515: Piece dropped into incorrect position in the stack when dragging within a stack to a lower position
- 11513: Piece “disappears” when dragged to grid space with an existing stack and “snap to defined point”
- 11510: Updated Opt-in version of the ‘Leading Zeros in Integers’ handing
- 11496: Safer GKC Configurer for Fixed # From Deck
- 11798: Added Chinese translation
- 11796: Added Polish translation
- 11790: Updated bundled Java to 19 for Windows and MacOS
- 11704: Added Place Marker editor hotkeys
- 11700: Irregular Grid editor - add region with Insert or Ctrl+Right Click
- 11622: Added support for Open Recent… submenu
- 11600: Player context menus: Show keyboard shortcuts right-aligned and with symbols
- 11570: Update Module Extension window, add missing description
- 11564: Prevent Notes windows always starting open at very last character of note
- 11557: Auto-select contents of Edit boxes when they get focus
- 11546: Default dialog-closing button behaviors for Enter/Esc; Key shortcuts added to Piece Definer (see Game Piece help); Piece Definer list boxes jump to entry starting with that letter; Key shortcuts added editing Layer trait (see Layer help); Most text fields support Ctrl/Cmd+Z for undo/redo
- 11545: Description of Prototype will auto-include any BasicName
- 11541: Add hotkey to start specific chess clock
- 11534: Add Open all Contained Pieces option
- 11524: Option to ‘always use format’ on text label (even if label is blank)
- 11521: BoundsTracker - Track bounds and repaint just for the regions of added pieces; rather than the whole map
- 11499: TurnTracker Forward Only Toggle: Allow module designers to disable the backwards TurnTracker button
- 11497: Don’t play sounds while fast-forwarding a log
- 11465: DoActionButton claims its icon in remove-unused-images
- 11417: Fix Ctrl key with Does Not Stack trait
- 11406: Don’t show image scale option for panels inside Chart Windows
- 11388: Correctly draw hex coordinates for odd-numbered columns spanning tile boundaries
- 11372: Delayed Notes from subsequent saves displayed out of order
- 11369: Leading zeros handling in Set Dynamic Property
- 11362: Match expanded Inventory nodes by entry value, not by display text
- 11347: Inventory should not reveal face down deck images
- 11344: Prevent Undo from triggering Deck Empty Hotkey
- 11343: Ensure that the pivot point is used for rotating Cargo
- 11329: Invisible Pieces belonging to another player can still stack together
- 11487: Removed obsolete option from startup script
- 11460: Show a dialog when connection to the game server is lost
- 11446: Tweak version number display in online window (numbers at end, grayed out)
- 11414: Improved version mismatch messaging
- 11373: Make columns in Delayed Notes table sortable
- 11361: Allow Calculated properties to set Game Piece Layer
- 11356: SetupStack can match literal grid names even if Zone only reports Zone name (e.g., uses $name$ as Location Format)
- 11351: Documented that Mats w/ cargo can’t go in decks
- 11348: Polygon Editor improvements (move whole shape, tab between points)
- 11346: Update bundled Java to 18
- 11330: Allow .toString() to be called properly on property names in Beanshell
See the Release Notes for descriptions of the changes in 3.6.
VASSAL 3.6 requires Java 11 or later.
The Windows and MacOS packages have an appropriate version of Java bundled with them, so there is no need to install Java separately on those operating systems. On Linux, use your package manager to install Java 11 or later.
Please report bugs in the Technical Support & Bugs category at the VASSAL forum.
The VASSAL Team