Vassal Designer's Guide in progress

Originally, I had planned to finish the Designer’s Guide back when I did the User’s Guide for 3.1. But I held off, because the release of 3.2 seemed imminent. Since that’s not the case at the moment, I think it’s safe to go ahead and finish the designer’s guide for 3.1, and then update it for 3.2 when that becomes available.

I’d like to add a section on the process of Importing Custom Classes…since I’ve never done this for a module, and don’t code, I am not even sure how to begin documenting it. (RL I’m a technical writer, so I’m at least familiar with the concepts, but not the details)

I only saw a brief mention of it on the Wiki, and that was in regards to troubleshooting a problematic import. I am sure there is a lot more information that could be discussed.

Would any developers be willing to document this process for the guide?

Can I just throw my additions and edits to the current wiki? I see that Vassal 3.2 trunk includes an offline bundle of those wiki help files. Right?

Actually, it’s better if you make comments directly in the draft guide and forward them to me. The offline help was used as the basis for the designer’s guide content, but there is a great deal of new content as well. If you edit the wiki, your edits will not be captured in the guide.

Is your draft the same one as mentioned here? … [url]https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/property-visibility/4357/1]

How do I send you my additions and edits?

Actually, I was hoping to do my additions and edits, and be able to enjoy them immediately. The online wiki might be best? Can you upload your draft guide to online wiki, and start collaborative work on it right away?

Yes, that’s the draft. It’s currently in .docx format. You can send me edits by PM or, if they are substantial, I can give you my email address.

The site already has a collaborative wiki. Much of the wiki content is what I used as a basis for the guide. The designer’s guide collects it all in one place, sequences and organizes it, and supplements it with a great deal of additional information. I think it would be counterproductive to turn that content back into a wiki right now.

If instead you’d like to make your own edits to the existing wiki, feel free, but I can’t guarantee your wiki additions will make it into the guide.

Oh. :frowning: My aim was to get as many people adding to the wiki as possible. But if you think that’ll mess things up too much, I understand.

Can you do the guide in DocBook or something OpenOffice? The point is I want to send you diffs. It’ll be easier for you to see my changes. Imagine see a hundred changes in a glance. Docx format won’t allow that.

Thus spake viewofheaven:

Can you do the guide in DocBook or something OpenOffice? The point is I
want to send you diffs. It’ll be easier for you to see my changes.
Imagine see a hundred changes in a glance. Docx format won’t allow that.

I brought this up some time ago—we do need this in something which
is not a proprietary format—and I agree with you that it would be
better to have it in a non-binary format which can be diffed. My
personal preference would be LaTeX, but DocBook would also be a
reasonable choice.

J.