Vassal on a Net Book Computer

Hello,

I travel pretty extensively right now and I am interested in purchasing a small net book in order to be able to play games like ASL, Flying Colors, Blue Max, Dawn Patrol to name just a few while I am away. I can’t use the company laptop for this purpose and I don’t want to lug my personal laptop around in addition. I primarily want to play live VASSAL while using Skype or Messenger for voice.

Does anyone know if net books have the storage capability and graphic ability necessary so I can download the VASSAL engine and Skype software versions and also have saved game files on the hard drive?

Any advice is appreciated.

Mike

I’ve been thinking about playing VASSAL on a netbook too. The hardware shouldn’t be a problem, it is just that you may find that the screen is a bit small on netbooks.

I have tried it and I don’t recommend it. Even with 2 GB RAM (Acer Aspire One), running a graphics-intensive module (Combat Commander: Europe) was extremely slow. The screen resolution is unfavourable also, as already mentioned. If you want to travel and VASSAL, get a notebook (that’s what I’ve done).

Combat Commander: Europe is Processor intensive, not graphics intensive. It will be the processor speed that is limiting you on the netbook. You should find that you can run simpler modules on a netbook without too much problem.

B.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 29/12/2009 at 12:33 PM meng wrote:

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)