Vassal remove option during install

G’day all,

I’ve found a small issue with the installer when installing Vassal running on to Vista, and maybe other windows platforms. When I run through the wizard, I usually choose the “custom” option. The installer then displays any previous versions of Vassal it finds and asks if I want to remove the older versions. I always select the previous version to uninstall and then continue to install Vassal normally.

Everything installs fine, however when I go to the Vista “Start” menu to start Vassal, the link to start the previous version of Vassal remains and I have to delete it manually. For some reason, the Vassal installer does not remove this menu item.

Thus spake “LurchBrick”:

Which version is the previous version?

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

This has occurred on the last 3 beta versions starting from Beta 6.

When I installed Beta 7, the beta 6 link remained. Same with installing from beta 7 to beta 8, beta 7 link remained and finally from beta 8 to 3.1.

I always used the Windows installer whenever an updated version appeared.

Thus spake “LurchBrick”:

What do you mean by “link”?

J.

Messages mailing list

Thus spake “LurchBrick”:

Did you move or rename VASSAL’s entry in the Start menu?

J.

Messages mailing list

I did not touch the Vassal entry in the Start menu.

By “link” I meant the Vassal entry in the Start menu.

For instance, I had Beta 8 loaded on my computer in the default folder. I installed 3.1 and chose to remove beta 8 during the install. Beta 8 was removed but the Beta 8 entry in the Start menu was still there alongside the 3.1 entry. The beta 8 entry still pointed to the old beta 8 default folder, but the default folder no longer exists as it was removed during the installation of 3.1.