Vassal won't start

I’m using quite an old iMac - 2012

OS is Mojave version 10.14.6

16 GB RAM

When I try to open VASSAL 3.7.10 it ‘unexpectedly quits’.

Anybody else having the same issue?

The problem you’re seeing is that your version of MacOS is too old to run the version of Java bundled with the Mac build of Vassal 3.7.10.

You will not be able to run Mac releases of Vassal from the past few years on MacOS 10.14; however, if you can find and install Java 11 or later, you should be able to run the “other” release using that.

Thanks - I’ll look into that…

Same with Catalina. Returned to 3.7.9

Catalina is MacOS 10.15. From what I can see, no version of Java we’ve been bundling since at least our 3.6.0 release supports anything prior to MacOS 11. If you’re able to use the Vassal 3.7.9 MacOS package with Catalina, that’s accidental.

Time to sell my Imac and go to the dark side?

You have an alternative mentioned above: Install Java 11 or later and use the “other” package. It’s not obligatory to use the Mac package on a Mac.

What do you mean with “other”? Temurin?
I’m only a user level.

The “other” package is the one marked “Other” on our downloads page. Unlike the MacOS and Windows packages, it does not include Java, so you need to have Java installed to run it.

The only requirement is that you install Java 11 or later. (I’d try 21 first, then 17, and then 11. Those are all Long Term Support releases.) I don’t know which versions of Java you’ll find that will run on MacOS 10. The Adoptium OpenJDK builds are the ones we bundle, but you’re free to use any one you prefer.

Downloaded and installed both OpenJDK21 and “other”. How do you launch VASSAL?.
Sorry for my ignorance.

Used chmod 755 for VASSAL.sh but obtained this error:

./VASSAL.sh: line 20: realpath: command not found.

Solution: needed to install coreutils from brew.

3.7.10 Working

1 Like