Vassel doesn't work on J=Kubuntu 19.10

Nothing works, I’m afraid. I have Java installed, and it starts up, but as soon as I try to load any modules, it errors, and fails to submit the big report.

ErrorLog(.txt) file is attached.

Side Note, I highly recommend allowing the errorLog upload to be allowed to be uploaded without having to change their extension. Some people don’t even know what a file extension is, let alone how to change it. The file upload the rejected as an unallowed extension with the names “errorLog” and “errorLog.log”. As “errorLog” is the default file name, it should be allowed to be uploaded in the support forum.

VASSAL won’t run on anything newer than Java 8 at present. The forthcoming VASSAL 3.3 will remedy that.

I found a neat way of forcing java 8 on Debian machines. Install the package : nvidia-openjdk. then in the VASSAL.sh add

PATH=/usr/lib/jvm/nvidia-java-8-openjdk-amd64/bin:$PATH

Thus spake Larnu:

Nothing works, I’m afraid. I have Java installed, and it starts up, but
as soon as I try to load any modules, it errors, and fails to submit the
big report.

You’re using Java 11. Java 11 is not compatible with VASSAL 3.2.17. Use
Java 8.

VASSAL 3.3.0, which is in testing now, will work with Java 9 or later.

J.

Thanks, I installed the java-8-openjdk-amd64 evnironment, and instead used "PATH=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/bin:$PATH
" Worked like a charm.

On a different note, when switching game channel, the client crashes instead. :frowning:

sdkman.io/ is a very good option for managing jdk versions in linux. Install and then run

“sdk install java 8.0.252.hs-adpt”

You could also install a java 11 version and use that as a default, and then switch to 8 for Vassal.

Why isn’t this posted in [size=150]GIANT BLACK LETTERS[/size] on the download page? The latest version of Java on Ubuntu is 14! The instructions on the download page say to install v7, but that’s not even an option on Ubuntu 19.

Thus spake tt1:

“uckelman” wrote:

Thus spake Larnu:

You’re using Java 11. Java 11 is not compatible with VASSAL 3.2.17.
Use
Java 8.

Why isn’t this posted in GIANT BLACK LETTERS on the download page? The
latest version of Java on Ubuntu is 14! The instructions on the
download page say to install v7, but that’s not even an option on Ubuntu

Thanks for pointing out that the download page is wrong (though it was
correct when it was written). We’re very close to releasing 3.3.0, at which
point this will cease to be an issue, as Java 14 will work. I aim to update
the download page then.

J.