Version 3.3 with module saved with 3.3 bug

This is an odd one, but quite a big problem:

A user with Mac OS High Sierra experiences no problems using Vassal 3.3 and a module saved with 3.2.17, but no right-click menu functions work at all when using Vassal 3.3 and exactly the same module saved with 3.3. More details if/when I get them, but this seems serious enough to be worth reporting straight away.

The module(s) work fine in Windows 10.

Is there any way to revert a buildfile to how it was under 3.2.17?

Seems that the only differences in a 3.2.17 and a 3.3 module are the version number, the “standalone=” bit, and conversion of any non-standard characters to unicode (?) strings, in the buildfile and module data. Currently testing whether reverting these changes makes modules playable again on a Mac Retina.

Thus spake Benkyo:

This is an odd one, but quite a big problem:

A user with Mac OS High Sierra experiences no problems using Vassal 3.3
and a module saved with 3.2.17, but no right-click menu functions work
at all when using Vassal 3.3 and exactly the same module saved with 3.3.
More details if/when I get them, but this seems serious enough to be
worth reporting straight away.

Wait, what? Does this happen for everyone on High Sierra? On Mac OS?

J.

Mac Retina, one user I know of. Could be more widespread, I have no way of testing.

Thus spake Benkyo:

Mac Retina, one user I know of. Could be more widespread, I have no way
of testing.

Me either.

We had 4 betas, and a good chunk of the changes in 3.3.0 were specifically
to deal with Mac Retina. If this is something which happens to everyone
with a Retina system, I cannot understand why no one mentioned it before.

There’s nothing further I can do unless someone who can reproduce the
problem can help troubleshoot.

J.

I believe the guy who alerted me to the problem has sent a bug report, maybe he can be of more assistance.

In the meantime, am I right in that a module saved with 3.3 can be reverted to 3.2.17 by editing the buildfile and moduledata as I described above?

I can confirm that reverting the Vassal version number to 3.2.17 and deleting the “standalone=” bit from the buildfile and moduledata, in a module that does not include any non-standard characters, makes a module edited using Vassal 3.3 playable again for a user experiencing problems playing with a Mac Retina running Vassal 3.3 or Vassal 3.2.17.

I hope this is useful to someone, and do not recommend editing modules using Vassal 3.3 at this time.

This is happening on Linux too

I use MacOS (Catalina though, not High Sierra). I have not noticed right-click menu issues. Happy to try a specific module and sequence to try reproduce the error, if someone wants to supply instructions.

Where I’m seeing it is when creating an extension, I want to add items to the Game Piece Palette (which is in the core module), all the menu entries from the core module are greyed (which is expected) but when right clicking on one of them to add something the right click menu doesn’t appear.

This is on Arch Linux, tried with Oracle JRE 14, OpenJRE 14, OpenJRE 11 and all have the same problem. Usually I use OpenJRE for Vassal and have no problems. Actually from what Windows users tell me, it works better.

EDIT: Can’t add prototypes to the extension either or anything which requires right clicking on an existing menu from the core module that the extension is being added to. If I edit the core module I can right click as normal. It’s anything in the editor that’s greyed out, can’t be right clicked.

Anyone having right-cick problems on a Mac please see this post and try the build linked there:

https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/mac-laptop-users-please-help-us-test/10833/1

We need uses who are having the problem to try the test build and report back on how it behaves. No further work on fixing the problem will happen until we hear back from someone about it.

Any chance of looking into the problem I described in the post above? I think it might be a different problem

Does the extension problem noted here still occur with 3.5.3?