Very slow response

I have been playing Twilight Struggle on Vassal for about 2 weeks now. About 2 days ago, the system began to crawl. Has the server come under strain or should I check my system?

Thus spake revans:

I have been playing Twilight Struggle on Vassal for about 2 weeks now.
About 2 days ago, the system began to crawl. Has the server come under
strain or should I check my system?

There’s not been any significant increase in traffic or load that I can
see.

J.

Thanks for the reply. It must be me.

Here’s my info:

Model: Dell Inspiron One 2330
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.20GHz
Memory: 4GB
Video: Intel HD Graphics
VASSAL: 3.2.15
Java: version 8, update 31
Module: Twilight Struggle 3.1.2

It takes a couple of minutes to load, i.e for names to appear in the main room. If I try to create a new game, it does not appear when I create them. When I observe games, they seem to hang. Was working great until a cople of days ago. I tried to reload the ts mdule, but when I go to download the module, my connection times out. Very strange.

Thanks to all who have created this site. I am grateful for what has been done, so much so that I don’t want to give it up!!

-Randy

Ive actually noticed the website (wiki portion) has also been slow these
past 4 or 5 days both on my home computer and at work. 2 different providers
so it’s probably not my end.

From: messages [mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Joel
Uckelman
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2015 6:03 PM
To: The mailing list for VASSAL
Subject: Re: [messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Very slow response

Thus spake revans:

see.

J.

I should add, once I do get onto the wiki portion, I always have to relog
in. It seems to forget that I was logged in

From: messages [mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Tim
McCarron
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2015 11:18 PM
To: ‘The mailing list for VASSAL’

From: messages [mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Joel
Uckelman
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2015 6:03 PM
To: The mailing list for VASSAL

Thus spake revans:

see.

J.

Thus spake “Tim McCarron”:

Could be something between Europe and North America, then. The server is
in France. The wiki loaded as quickly as usual for me when I tried just
now.

J.

Ok, back to normal this morning, both wiki and game play. Thanks for taking a look.

-Randy

I seem to be having the exact same problem. Starting to respond better now.

Well, I thought it was working better but it’s not. Everything is about 4 minutes behind my clicking on it…This has never happened before, so I know my system is good enough to run it.

Went to a crawl again about 3PM Eastern US time. I’m barely able to get the wiki to respond so I can post this message. Very strange

I, too, experienced this issue on Friday, February 20 around 8-9 PM CT and again Sunday, February 22 around 8 PM CT. There is a lag of 1-5 minutes to perform anything on the VASSAL server including connection, starting a room, synchronizing with other games, etc. The odd thing, in my opinion, is that others can see my actions take effect immediately, so the lag appears only on my end. For example, if I start a new room, others see that room appear immediately but it takes several minutes for it to display on my end.

I have been unable to test at other times of the day, but I have verified that the computer being used and the version of VASASL (3.2.13 and 3.2.15) and module versions do not appear to have any impact.

Does anybody have any suggestions to resolve this?

We are experiencing something similar. All our data is in another subject on this forum.

Slow syncing or none at all in joining games.

We have a couple people on AT&T who have terrible server lag, have had it since Sunday, are having it today as well. Module is World in Flames. It’s been happening for some time, a few weeks, off and on with lag. Often minutes after commands issued.

Two Canadians and one Iowan get great connections, two on AT&T in Michigan and California get bad connections.

Here is our thread with details that may be associated with this issue: https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/sync-issues-with-server/7538/1

At least one of our guys having issues is with AT&T. Checking on the other one.

I am an AT&T customer as well. I wonder why it would be just one particular site.

I am still experiencing problems connecting/synching. Below are the specs for the machine I am on now; my other newer systems (iBook Pro and an HP ProBook with Windows 8) experience the exact same issue trying to connect to the VASSAL server.

• Model: Gateway NV59C
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27 GHz
  • Memory: 4.00 GB
  • Video Card:
  • Vassal version: 3.2.15
  • Java version: 1.6.0_34 (Java 6 Update 34)
  • Vassal module name and version: VASL 6.2.0
  • Exactly what steps are required to reproduce your problem: Attempt to connect to the VASSAL server to play live online. It takes approximately 30 seconds - 5 minutes to bring up the Main Room, and each action thereafter (creating a room, joining an existing room, messaging other users) takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 minutes to complete.

I am an AT&T (Uverse) customer as are others reporting this problem, so I contacted the AT&T “support” center tonight. They were unable to provide any real insight; in their view, there is no problem since my general latency and upload/download speeds are acceptable.

I ran reset all systems, tried wireless/wired, ran some ping tests (average over 250 ms with about 15-30% packet loss), trace routes (see below), released/renewed/flushed the connection/DNS and other basic tasks, but I have not been able to determine what is going on. Below is a recent traceroute to 68.14.242.201 which I believe is the IP address for the VASSAL game server. I am definitely not a network guru… Does anybody have any thoughts?

[code]Tracing route to two.vassalengine.org [68.14.242.201]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 ms < 1ms 2 ms homeportal [192.168.1.254]

Thus spake dsoukup:

I ran reset all systems, tried wireless/wired, ran some ping tests
(average over 250 ms with about 15-30% packet loss), trace routes (see
below), released/renewed/flushed the connection/DNS and other basic
tasks, but I have not been able to determine what is going on. Below is
a recent traceroute to 68.14.242.201 which I believe is the IP address
for the VASSAL game server. I am definitely not a network guru… Does
anybody have any thoughts?

One problem I see right away is that you have the wrong IP address.
68.14.242.201 used to be the IP of the game server, but that’s not
been the case for over a year now. How did you get that address?

Similarly, two.vassalengine.org used to be the hostname for the game
server, but that also changed about a year ago. The hostname which
we have built into current versions of VASSAL is game.vassalengine.org,
which should resolve to 62.210.178.7.

Tracing route to two.vassalengine.org [68.14.242.201]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 ms < 1ms 2 ms homeportal [192.168.1.254]

If this is output you produced today, then I want very much to know
what the command you used looked like and what nameservers you’re
using, as this indicates a very serious problem someplace.

J.

Please give us the output of traceroute if you’re having connection problems. Our gameserver is game.vassalengine.org.

Our AT&T game friends also have this problem - one got fixed by connecting through his iphone as a hotspot, so we know it’s the internet connection. However, as he’s in California and the other AT&T gamer is in Michigan, and doesn’t have a hotspot cell phone…, this hasn’t solved anything. We did not have massive ping problems on the tracert last week, but if we get it again tonight we will post his tracert here as well. We were using just the vassalengine.org to trace to, will try game.vassalengine.org tonight.

I should add that once the “sync complete” message was recieved it was taking 10-15 seconds for die rolls and the like to be transmitted (which worked fine for Michigan) but the map itself took like an hour or two to show up eventually, with very long lag between moves.