What Specs Do I Need to Run Vassal on my PC?

Hi,

I started thinking perhaps this is more of tech support question than a general discussion question, so I thought I’d post it here as well and see what people think.

I’m getting ready to buy a new desktop, and of course I want to save money. I don’t play computer games, but I do play a fair bit of vassal. My old computer has had trouble running newer versions of vassal, so I’ve been using an older version, and consequently not playing much. In another post, a developer noted that newer versions of vassal would make use of dedicated video memory. I’ve been pretty long out of touch with computer technology, but I thought if I buy a PC with a good bit of RAM (4GB) and a reasonably fast processor (Core Duo 2GHz maybe?) and an older video card, that should get me through a few years. As I search for PCs, I’m seeing a lot of them with what they call video cards that are onboard memory, i.e. using system memory for graphics. Then I got confused, and I figured I’d just come here and ask - what are the minimum specs I should get for a PC with hopes of being able to run Vassal for the next several years at least? Other than that, and watching some streaming video, I don’t need any kind of fancy graphics stuff, except what I might need in future years to keep doing what I do (email and the above).

Thanks for any help,

Chris Buhl

Hi Chris,

I’m not sure what the minimum specs would be, but the machine you outline below will run VASSAL with no problems whatsoever. Graphics performance is not an issue, The on-board graphics on any modern motherboard will be adequate. The main issue is RAM, and I would recommend a minimum of 2Gb if you plan to use larger modules, however, there are plenty of systems running XP with 1GB of RAM or less that run VASSAL fine. RAM is so cheap nowadays, I would go for 4Gb RAM up front, you won’t regret it.

B.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 29/07/2009 at 3:14 PM fatgreta wrote:

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thanks for the quick reply Brent. My concern is from hearing that future versions might use graphics memory. Will that make a video card less computer unable to run newer versions? If that’s not an issue, then I don’t really need a dedicated graphics card, which is great news.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Even if future versions of VASSAL do have options to support hardware acceleration on graphics cards, we will always provide a compatibility option to run as it is now.

B.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)