my view, opinion and advice is:
- I think having a discord chat is good in general so that new people can discover Vassal and “know” they can get “real-time help” from the community if they need
- forums are good but I think the “new generations” is not really used to them, butthey are very used to the chat and channels approach of discord
- many of us use discord not as a “turn by turn” tool but as a “lets play together now a boardgame”. That being said, we are already connecting to a discord server in order to do voice communication while playing. Having this as part of the vassal “offer” (aka discord server where they can easily jump into a voice chat) would make things easier, specially when looking for new people to play with
- having a server where multiple designers and modders are gathered it’s good and will help answer lot’s of questions and share tips anas tricks that sometimes get lost in forum
- I would love to contribute with ideas and experiences for Vassal 4.0 (if that is still on the table) and discord would be a good place to discuss and share those.
In the end, Discord helped to create communities in a new improved way. Dong get me wrong, I still use forums a lot, but I use discord even more and on daily bases and it would make it easier to reach out to the community.
I really believe that Vassal is very easily the best "boardgame tabletop simulator (well it’s missing a couple of things to make that happen but…) and depending on the approach that is taken for Vassal 4.0 instead of 1 person working on it, suddenly we can have hundreds (with proper supervision, of course). However, this will only ever happen if there is a community.
Discord can help to achieve that.
(hope my 5 cents help)