What would it take to make Vassal portable?

Hi,

I’m surprised this isn’t already in the Enhancements tracker or on the forum… What would it take to make this incredible piece of software portable so it can be run on any Windows machine?

Thanks!

Thus spake csudab via messages:

Hi,

I’m surprised this isn’t already in the Enhancements tracker or on the
forum… What would it take to make this incredible piece of software
portable so it can be run on any Windows machine?

Thanks!

On which Windows machines doesn’t VASSAL run? It’s my understanding
that we support every version released in the past decade.

J.

I think this question is about setting up Vassal as a “portable app” running off a thumb drive. Both Java and Vassal along with any modules you want to play would be loaded to the thumb drive. A launcher program would execute Vassal and use the Java loaded on the thumb drive. Move to a new windows box, and just run the launcher! A similar option could be designed for Linux.

I am not sure Vassal needs any modification for you to “run it portable”. You would first need to load Java to the thumb drive either manually (search the web for articles on this) or use Portableapps to load jPortable. This gives you a portable Java runtime. Then, run jPortable and specify the Vassal JAR file in Lib, Vengine.jar. You could install VAssal to the thumb drive with the regular windows installer. You just will not run the EXE file.

uckelman sorry, my question wasn’t clear - I am talking about the ability to use it on any machine including those set up with UAC (or whatever) preventing installation, registry changes etc.

Wow thank you starfish, I have never heard of jPortable before, maybe it’s the solution as you suggest; I will get back to you!

Thus spake csudab via messages:

uckelman sorry, my question wasn’t clear - I am talking about the
ability to use it on any machine including those set up with UAC (or
whatever) preventing installation, registry changes etc.

If you installed a JRE to a thumb drive and then unpacked the generic
VASSAL bundle there, I think you’d have what you’re aiming for. Only
the VASSAL installer and uninstaller write to the Windows registry, and
only the installer, uninstaller, and .exe launcher read from the
registry. The application itself doesn’t use the registry at all.

J.

Wow this explains why nobody else has asked for this before. I didn’t realise the installer was entirely non-essential… thank you!! I <3 Vassal :wink: