Why should copyright holders give permission for VASSAL mod?

Hey,

I’m working on a module for the old TSR version of Snit’s Revenge, and I mailed Steve Jackson to see what he thought about releasing it. He wasn’t so thrilled. He said in the future he hopes to have more time to think about a better policy than just to say ‘No’, but at the moment he doesn’t.

Hmmm…

I’d love to make the module available for people to play, but I’m also wanting to respect the wishes of the designers and authors. So I’d really like to find a way for them to see a value in having these modules available and being played - especially for a game like Snit’s that’s currently out-of-print…

Anyone have any luck on getting copyright holders to be interested in releasing VASSAL mods for their games?

Cheers, jas…

Steve Jackson has always said no to these requests. For the most part this is unusual. Most of the time this is not a problem.

Unfortunately, I also suspect that if people went ahead and made modules without his permission, his opposition would only get stronger, so I would definitely stay away.

You should find another project to work on.

• M.

2009/5/9 jestew <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

But he did allow a Car Wars mod….why the flip flop on his part I wonder? J

From: messages-bounces@forums.vassalengine.org [mailto:messages-bounces@forums.vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Michael Kiefte
Sent: Saturday, May 09, 2009 5:02 AM
To: VASSAL Engine Forums Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Module General Discussion]Why should copyright holders give permission for VASSAL mod?

Steve Jackson has always said no to these requests. For the most part this is unusual. Most of the time this is not a problem.

Unfortunately, I also suspect that if people went ahead and made modules without his permission, his opposition would only get stronger, so I would definitely stay away.

You should find another project to work on.

I’m working on a module for the old TSR version of Snit’s Revenge, and I mailed Steve Jackson to see what he thought about releasing it. He wasn’t so thrilled. He said in the future he hopes to have more time to think about a better policy than just to say ‘No’, but at the moment he doesn’t.

Hmmm…

I’d love to make the module available for people to play, but I’m also wanting to respect the wishes of the designers and authors. So I’d really like to find a way for them to see a value in having these modules available and being played - especially for a game like Snit’s that’s currently out-of-print…

Anyone have any luck on getting copyright holders to be interested in releasing VASSAL mods for their games?

Cheers, jas…

@jestew,

There is nothing to stop you from making your module for your own personal use. Just don’t offer it for distribution. Despite Steve Jackson’s objections, it is his design and you should respect his decision.

Most game designers will allow a Vassal module and it is a smart idea. Vassal modules are excellent advertisement. I have bought several games after trying either Vassal or Cyberboard modules. Too bad Steve Jackson doesn’t “get it”.

I’d say go ahead and design your module for your own pesonal use until and if you get permission to distribute it.

Technically, you are correct. I just don’t understand what the point of making a module for your own use is.

• M.

Partly, it’s to learn how to make VASSAL modules.

Also, I’m playing it with my son :slight_smile:

Mainly so that if he ever does get permission, the module is made.

Also, believe it or not, many people solitaire wargames. Sometimes it’s easier to play on the computer than getting out the map and counters and setting them up on a table and then having to store it if you don’t complete the game.

From my perspective, it’s not “for my own use,” but also for the use of my friends to whom I’ve privately distributed the module. I own the game, and this seems to me basically analogous to having them come over and play it.

That being said, I’d love to distribute my module (History of the World, the Hasbro edition). I’ve asked, and apparently their lawyers are looking into it, but it’s been a long time now…

In my short time here at Vassal forums, I’ve been in contact with 1 designer of a well known board game to ask if for his permission to create a Vassal module based on his game. He was only to happy to give his permission, and even asked me to contact the company in order to acquire high-res scans of the artwork needed for the conversion effort.

Said CEO responded within a day with positive information, and now I’ve been in contact with his publisher whom has already spoken with me on 2 occasions to settle any last minute details before releasing the scans.

The point of this is IF your going to ask a designer/company for such permission, you need to approach it as a strict business offer and explain to them what Vassal can do for them.

There may also be designers/companies out there whom are not familiar with the software (I suspect that “most” do know what Vassal is/does but may be wrong about that) so it would be advantageous to include a small bit of information - including a link for their perusal.

Included below is a sample of the letter that I used to make first contact with the designer of Return of the Heroes. Naturally this can’t be used for every contact, but hopefully it gives some idea of the proper format and content to include in such a query.

Your mileage may vary…

Dear Sir,

My name is ********, age 45 and I’m a gamer who hails from ********. I’m a huge fan of Return of the Heroes, having experienced the game over the last few months and I found the game to be an absolute blast to play.

I’m writing in regards to the possibility of obtaining permission from you to make Return of the Heroes and it’s subsequent expansions available as a module for a PC based gaming system known as Vassal.

If your unfamiliar with the system, the link below will show you the huge amount of games that have been created for the system (by clicking on the Modules link on the left hand side of the site) and the amount of companies that have jumped on-board with this system.

vassalengine.org/community/index.php

By making your game available to use with this software, it would increase the amount of people that play the game world wide, and as a secondary benefit could very well increase sales of the boxed game by exposing a wider audience to the system.

After all, Heroes is a family game wherein the table can never be, nor should be, completely forgotten.

Please understand that if permission is granted, I would be willing to sign a non-disclosure agreement in that if your situation changes and/or you wish the game to be removed from general availability I would do so without hesitation at your request.

This will not be a short term endeavor given the amount of work that will be involved on my end to scan in the gaming system and translate it into the Vassal design engine. However to be clear I am not doing this for any monetary gain, nor would I accept money’s from any 3rd party or consumer to reproduce your game for profit. I’m simply a fan of the game who would like to make it available to a larger audience through a software program that has proven to be popular and easy to use.

Finally in closing, if you would be interested in such an agreement to produce your system for Vassal, I would ask only that perhaps you could help me (if possible) to secure the necessary scans of the gaming components. This would make my task of re-creating the game much easier within Vassal.

Thank you for making a gaming system that truly is unique and wonderful, and for giving me the opportunity to play a game that allows for such a fantastic experience.

I remain hopeful that such an agreement between both parties can be reached, but do understand if you decide to decline my request.

With sincere appreciation,

Cheers,

Excellent approach Silverleaf. Hopefully more board game companies will realize the marketing advantages of VASSAL. I’ve been playtesting the Ancient Battles Deluxe series by Victory Games and they have given me complete support and graphic material to develope a VASSAL module. Their obvious viewpoint is…the more exposure the better.

Thus spake “Silverleaf”:

If you’re going to use this form letter as an example, there’s a typo in
this line: “your” should be “you’re”.

Similarly, “money”, not “money’s”. You should spell out “third”.

Ask for the artwork in whatever format they have it—that will be better
than scans.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org