ADC tool tip?

:slight_smile:
I am just about to start a vassal game with a converted ADC module. The game requires that some counters start with a hidden status, however, when you mouse over the hidden counter a little ‘tool tip’ pops up and reveals the identity of the counter. I think this is left over from the ADC module. Does anybody know how to turn the tool tip off, at least until the unit is revealed?

Many thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Could you send me a link to the actual ADC2 module you’re talking about?

Thanks,

• M.

2009/6/3 steve_lampon <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Hi Michael

67.155.107.229/Web_page/ADC_Modules/coa.htm

Scroll down to La Bataille de Mont St Jean.

Do you want to see the vassal module? Not sure if the hidden/masked unit facility is in the ADC module, I think the ‘tool tip’ name that pops-up is the ‘Name’ value in the basic piece property?

Vassal module is here (temporarily).

stevenlampon.co.uk/page5.htm

If you have a chance to look at it is there a better way to produce hidden units? A property that reveals the unit when an enemy gets within a certain amount of hexes would be very cool :slight_smile:

A utility that converts CB gameboxes to vassal modules would also be very handy :slight_smile:

Many thanks

Steve

Are some of the units supposed to be masked? It doesn’t appear that any of them are “obscurable” (not invisible, but just masked). Is there supposed to be some special mask that appears when an opponent’s units are masked. It doesn’t look like the ADC2 module allowed you to do that. VASSAL is just doing whatever you were supposed to be able to do in ADC2.

I agree. You can do a search for this topic on the list. The issue is that, at one time, there was a rumour that CB would be open sourced. If that happened, the process of developing an importer would have been trivial. That never happened and no one seems willing to put in the time it would take to reverse engineer the file formats and have them open source it right in the middle.

• M

Sorry, I have never used the ADC module (although I do have the ADC software somewhere), so I do not know what the original module was capable of. I also did not make the vassal conversion - my opponent did.

If you drag a playing piece onto the map, it has a right click property ‘mask’ which obscures the units identity, however when you mouse over it the identity is revealed

The module you linked to is not an import from ADC2. You’ll have to contact the author of the module.

• M.

2009/6/3 steve_lampon <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

!!!Really :open_mouth:

He must have copied and pasted all the items from the ADC module then into the vassal module one at a time!!!

Is the mouse over tool tip a vassal property? Can it be turned on and off?

Does vassal have its own hidden units property/ability that we can utilise instead?

edit: ok I have done a bit of surfing the forum I think the tool tip is the vassal ‘Mouse Over Stack Viewer’ showing $PieceName$. Can the layer -Mask property temporarily turn off this off?

Many thanks :slight_smile:

It obviously started out as an imported ADC2 module, but he’s modified it quite a bit. The original module didn’t have maskable units in ADC2.

He’s created a layer called “Mask”. That’s not going to work. There is a trait called “Mask” that does what you want. I don’t know why he’s done it this way.

If a piece is masked properly you won’t get a piece label popping up. In fact, they way it’s done here, the layer “Mask” serves almost no purpose at all other than to change the appearance to a question mark.

• M.

Ok I have figured out how to add the mask trait and deleted the mask layer, in order for the mask trait to work properly I guess the player sides need to be owned, correct?

However, the ‘Definition of Player Sides’ listing is missing from the module editor! Can you tell me how to add it back in?

Many thanks

In the absence of defined owners, I think the owner is whoever masked it.

Just add it! Right click on the top element of the tree.

• M.

:slight_smile:, if only it was that easy!!!

I have taken a screenshot, on the left I have the Unhappy King Charles module open for editing, the ‘Defintion of Player Sides’ listing (what is it, a class/property?) is clearly visible as the 2nd listing down.

On the right is the MSJ module also open for editing, I have right clicked on the module to show the list of properties - I have gone through them all and none of them give me options to add in the Player Sides.

Can you please explain exactly which element I have to right click on to add the definitions back in?

Many thanks

Oh crap. You can delete Definition of Player Sides, but you can’t add it.

This is not good. What you’re going to have to do is take the appropriate line from the buildFile of a new module and past it into the buildFile of this module.

I don’t see another way to do it.

I went ahead and fixed iut for you. You can download it at:

http://myweb.dal.ca/mkiefte/MontSaintJean.zip

Let me know if it works.

• M.

:smiley:

Michael, thankyou very much - I was starting to think I was going mad!

Or maybe I already am!

Now to figure out how to assign ownership :slight_smile:

Thus spake Michael Kiefte:

You should file a bug report for that.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Done.

• M.

2009/6/3 Joel Uckelman <uckelman@nomic.net (uckelman@nomic.net)>

Hi Michael :slight_smile: Thanks for all the help yesterday!

I wonder if you can explain one last thing for me, I managed to assign player sides, and then the hide/mask trait to the units I wanted to, the restrict access trait was added to all the units of one side.

I then ran a test signing in as opposing sides and running a series of small logfiles, the result is that the Allied units are unknown to the French, except in the very first logfile, when I drag the pieces from the trays whilst signed in as the allies the chat window gives a report of every counter which the French player is able to read, the units only become hidden at the very end of the logfile!

Is there a way of preventing this?

Many thanks

2009/6/4 steve_lampon <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

At what point are the units masked?

• M.

As I drag each counter on to the map I then apply the hide/mask trait.

Is there a way to make it masked even when it is in the tray so its identity is entirely unknown?

Many thanks

Steve, can you post a link to the newest module and as well a log file?

• M.

2009/6/4 steve_lampon <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Hi Michael

New module is here with 3 logfiles (zipped)

stevenlampon.co.uk/page5.htm

Many thanks