Area of Effect

Bundling Java on an OS which has a proper package manager is the wrong approach.

Why is it painful to install Java on Mint? It ought to be easy.

We’re going to release 3.6.0 on 1 December. We’re mostly shifting over to V4 work after that.

Also, there’s still an outstanding problem with stacking, yes? What is the earliest version of Vassal in which that occurs?

Bundling Java on an OS which has a proper package manager is the wrong approach.
Not sure what you mean here. More ignorant description if you can. I use 1.8 and 1.11 currently, Java has a self installer that says it installs but when I query for java versions installed the one I installed with there installer does not show up. the current linux version you can get from the repository is 1.17. others appear to be depreciated and are not available for mints/ Ubuntu repository install.
Hope that helps.
Other O/S versions"19 and 20" have bluetooth issues" my mouse and keyboard are bluetooth" so that’s a no go. I have also found wireless adapters that are ones that need me to build a driver but when they update the kernel they go bad, if I could figure out dkpm package installer that usually fixes that issue but I am not good at “code” work I am a hardware guy… so there you are.

OUTSTANDING stacking thing. I have only had this issue in our module since 3.5.8.
by reverting to 3.5.3 the issue seems to have gone away it is something that shows up when A sav is done for the evenings play and then next week we load he sav and we had stacking issues with some of the stacks, I checked with our dev team and made the choice to hold at 3.5.3 and java 9-11. I have 1 dev guy who is playing a solo campaign game and reporting issues that I am resolving, Holidays are slowing me down we have a lot of birthdays and such in Nov. and Dec.
Can trait order in counters cause something like these stacking issues? the hill top and Counter stacking? Can moving from one version of Vassal to another then saving the game in progress also be a vector of issues that might domino as we move along?
When you issue 3.6.0 and hold I will certainly do some testing to see if the issues self resolve.

Scott

The problem with bundling on Linux is that one of the shared libraries which is part of Java is compiled against a particular version of libc, and we have no way of knowing what version of libc is installed on any given Linux system. But this isn’t a problem we have to overcome ourselves, because the maintainers of your Linux distribution do know what version of libc is installed, and they will have already provided via the package manager a version of Java compatible with that version of libc. That is in fact the job of Linux distribution maintainers, making sure that the packages they provide are usable together.

So the solution on Linux is: Use the Java packaged by your distribution, because they will have ensured that it works on your system.

It’s far simpler this way, and I wish it were like this on MacOS and Windows so we didn’t have to bundle Java at all.

Java changed their version numbering after 1.4. The next version was 5, and they’ve counted up by ones since. So probably you have 8 and 11 installed.

You shouldn’t need any installer at all.

If your package manager is offering Java 17, I recommend using that. It’s the one I use on Linux right now, and it’s what we bundle for MacOS and Windows.

Regarding the stacking issue:

What is the earliest version of Vassal which has the problem?

Answering this question means going to the release archive and finding a pair of consecutive versions where the first works and the second does not. When you have that, let me know.

So probably you have 8 and 11 installed.
yes. And you ar correct in that they use 5,6,7,8,9… but internally it show 1.8., 1.9, 1.11…so there you are.
Fresh start on tld campaign game with Hill marker over riding a unit on the board:

Internal to what? Where is this?

Joel, this is a unproductive discussion of java stupid, My machine works fine with 8 and 11 my media player has 17 installed alongside the default 8 in mint. so lets not waste time on that, I will try to get a stacking issue on counters image for you so you can determine if it is something you have seen before.
Thanks for the java concern, but I’m good and working on 3 machines, I hate windows and never want to deal with that crap ever again. I also don’t touch apple shite. My choice.

Screenshots won’t help. What I need to know is the earliest version of Vassal which has the problem. That’s all. When you can tell me that, let me know.

Dealing just with the hill marker issue (which occurs on Vassal v3.5.3, right ?),

If the yellow square in the middle of the counter is the marker and sometimes it appears on top of the counter and sometimes it does not, then I suggest that this is because both these two pieces are in the same Game Piece Layer (or none).

To ensure that the yellow square is always underneath the counter, make sure that the pieces each have a Marker or other property trait defined which has the name of the Game Piece Layer for the map, and values such that the value on the yellow square piece is higher up the list in the Game Piece Layer component.

1 Like

It appears that it (the stacking issue) is limited to a sav being being used by our dev team new fresh starts have no issues.unknown

It’s probably worth noting that we occasionally find and fix bugs in Vassal that relate to eg pieces not being placed properly into stacks in certain corner cases. We then put those fixes … into new versions of Vassal. So if someone is inexplicably sticking with eg 3.5.3 then they aren’t getting the benefits of all the bug fixes we made up to and including 3.5.8.

3 Likes

Talking of which, here’s one that I discovered recently… Bug: Cards wrap and overlay in Player Hand display beyond 2nd card · Issue #10819 · vassalengine/vassal · GitHub

Thanks.
My opinion is that people don’t like upgrading weekly. and if a certain version is functioning then while I add and fix errors we are sticking with one version until you guys stop.
the last stacking issue occurs in any version of vassal since 3.5.3 3.6.0 also creates this unit stacking issue. I believe it is a .sav issue that is being carried along and will not go away using the latest vassal.Starting a game and doing moves and saving has been tested up to 30 times and no stacking issue has been found.
The TLD dev game has been being played since 3.5.1 or there abouts and the module has had corrections and functionality added to it in between play nights the games sav file might be corrupted in some way, if anyone wants to open it up and look at the guts I have a .sav that you could look into.

Okay I’m just saying we fixed 105 bugs between 3.5.3 and 3.5.8, and so the 3.5.3 people are missing out on all of those bugfixes. If you post the save file and point us toward the proper version of the module to use someone may be able to look at your save.

what is eg?
what is a corner case?
I have been using 3.5.3 because it has been the most “stable”? for our purposes, and you guys are stating " if you save in this version of vassal you can’t go back to a previous version", which makes people think a game save will not work in a previous version of Vassal.
I believe you guys mean if you edit a module in a new version of vassal the new .vmod will not work in a previous version of vassal, and to be honest I am not inclined to find out which one is correct(or both).
I want to say that we all are appreciative of the work your all doing, but for those of us who are working on building modules it is frustrating to say the least.
and to Joel and Brent, will you please answer Bill Thomson, were all trying to get things done and I think it is childish not to at least acknowledge some one from 12 years ago that worked on the TLD module.

Thanks, Scott

I wasn’t aware that Bill Thompson was waiting for any reply from me.

You guys are doing a terrific job at getting Vassal ready to transition to V4 and I can say that the Dev team for TLD is pleased with the corrections and fixes.

“eg” is just exempli gratia, short for “for example”

Examples of bugs with stacking fixed after 3.5.3, up to and including 3.5.8 include:

• 13796: Stacks after the first are unstacked when multiple stacks dragged to a snap-to map
  • 14440: Counter refresh function sometimes changes stacking order of pieces

There are at least two “Stack” bugs fixed in the 3.6 betas as well.

I don’t think I said anything about Vassal version compatibility? We try to keep all vassal versions with the same minor version number (e.g. “3.5”) compatible, but of course if someone using an earlier version encounters a bug that messes something up because they didn’t upgrade to the version that has more bugfixes, we don’t have a way to solve that problem. You’re certainly correct that using two different versions of a module to play the same game is a serious mistake.

The stacking error only occurs when the save file from the previous game is used to open the new game session. we have tried to use 3.5.8, 3.6.0 beta7 and when saved the error still occurs when it is opened again.
when a completely fresh game scenario is opened in 3.5.3-3.6.0beta7 there appear to be no stacking issues.
That is one reason I am keeping it off the bug list I do not believe it is a bug from the Engine, I believe it crept in during my attempts to build zoc/AOE for the strongpoints and field forts.

I know that term as “ErGo”

Okay, if you’re saying everything is working except an old save file, that’s fine. If you want to post the save file we could also take a look at it just in case.

• “ergo” is a different Latin word, and it is not abbreviated to eg. Whenever you see “eg”, “e.g.”, “eg.” those all mean “for example”