Cards Automatically Flipping Over

How can you prevent a drawn card from automatically being flipped over onto the map board when drawn? The “draw new cards face up” is not checked and that doesn’t seem to be the problem. My cards are using Mask but I’ve also tried using Layer to put a backing on the card but this doesn’t seem to work either.

JG

Sounds like you have something set up wrong. Cards do not flip over
automatically unless drawn from deck with face up checked. Either your
masking is set up improperly or you are invoking the key command on the mask
to flip the card over somewhere and you didn’t notice the link.

Either way will need to see the module to identify exactly what’s wrong
though

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Extralean
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2011 2:46 PM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: [messages] [Module Design] Cards Automatically Flipping Over

How can you prevent a drawn card from automatically being flipped over
onto the map board when drawn? The “draw new cards face up” is not
checked and that doesn’t seem to be the problem. My cards are using Mask
but I’ve also tried using Layer to put a backing on the card but this
doesn’t seem to work either.

JG

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/cards-automatically-flipping-over/4169/1

Or you don’t know how masking works. It is possible that the mask is set up with a “plain” rendering of the face of the card, and what you see is absolutely correct.

When a card or piece is masked, the module will render it differently depending on who owns the piece or card. Let’s assume you are drawing a card from a deck (configured to draw cards face down) and putting it on the table. Drawing the card makes you the card’s owner. The card is face down, but you may see a face up rendition because Vassal knows you own the card. There are several options on how the card exactly appears (full face up, face down with a peek option, a card back icon in the corner of the face up card, plus others). What does your opponent see? He sees a face down card. What a player sees of the same card can be quite different. Blocks games commonly use masking for all the blocks. You see the faces of all your blocks, but your opponent sees their backs, and it’s all handled automatically.

Vassal keys ownership on passwords, so if you use a module with masks, choosing and using a unique password is significant.

In your case, it is likely that the mask was configured with a plain option, which means the card’s face appears to its owner without any notation. You can test this. Draw a card and place it on the"table. You see its face. Save the game. Change your password in preferences and load the game. If it’s working right, the card will now appear face down on the table. You are seeing what your opponent would see.

When I use Layer instead of Mask the card remains face down when I drag a card off the map onto the table, which is Ok. The only problem is that when using Layer, the card does not go back into the Draw Deck face down according to the parameters set (however it does so if I use Mask).

Layer: card remains face down (as I want it to) when dragging it off a deck located on the board to the board, but does not obey the decks parameters when sending the card back to the draw deck and you wish it to be face down when doing so.

Mask: card remains face up when dragging it off a deck located on the board to the board, but obeys the deck parameters when sending the card back to the draw deck and you wish it to be face down when doing so.

If seems like it’s one or the other. I guess you can’t have your cake and eat it to.

Layer is not an interactive trait with Decks like Mask.

Mask will do what you want. You just have to set it up correctly which it
seems you are not

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Extralean
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2011 9:23 PM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: [messages] [Module Design] Re: Cards Automatically Flipping Over

When I use Layer instead of Mask the card remains face down when I drag
a card off the map onto the table, which is Ok. The only problem is that
when using Layer, the card does not go back into the Draw Deck face down
according to the parameters set (however it does so if I use Mask).

Layer: card remains face down (as I want it to) when dragging it off a
deck located on the board to the board, but does not obey the decks
parameters when sending the card back to the draw deck and you wish it
to be face down when doing so.

Mask: card remains face up when dragging it off a deck located on the
board to the board, but obeys the deck parameters when sending the card
back to the draw deck and you wish it to be face down when doing so.

If seems like it’s one or the other. I guess you can’t have your cake
and eat it to.

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/cards-automatically-flipping-over/4169/4