Commands & Colors: Napoleonics demo for Vassal 3.7

Vassal v3.7 includes some great new capabilities for module developers. I have developed a trial version of the Commands & Colors: Napoleonic module which uses some of these.

:eyes: To take a look…

1. Install Vassal v3.7-beta5. Windows users: use the installer’s Custom option.
  2. Install and open the trial module (download here).
  3. Start a scenario as “Solitaire” and press the “Deal Cards” icon that appears left of the main board.

The module demonstrates potential improvements over the current release. Key Vassal 3.7 features used include:

• Scenario Options embedded in File menu - used by the module to pre-configure hand-sizes
  • Much expanded ability to coordinate pieces - the module uses this to deliver a comprehensive combat process and enhanced card play features

Feedback welcome. You can log issues from this link.

Module Highlights

Pasted Graphic 8  Scenarios pre-configured for one button initial card draw.

Simplified end-turn menu and auto-ordering (mainly for Force March).

Assistance with the combat procedure.

:warning: The trial module works but is still in development and not compatible with previous releases. So, I recommend casual use only at this stage. Delete the trial version when done to avoid problems from unintended use. The latest trial version can be installed again from the above link, if required.

Update:

Vassal v3.7 is now released and should be used rather than beta version. Download the latest version via the blue button.

The module link in my original post is now defunct. For the latest alpha test version, click here [updated 17th Nov 2023].

Note that this alpha test version runs as a distinct module from the original. It will join a different set of rooms and log-file click-to-open does not conflict with earlier versions.

Though this version has a few infrequent, minor bugs, you should find it acceptable for casual games. See above for a summary of the new features and the Release Notes from the Help menu for more details. The Help menu includes links to provide feedback or report an issue.

1 Like

Some amazing improvements.
Great job Mark!