Design help needed concerning fog of war and hidden pieces

Hi,

I am noobish designer trying to make Empires of Apocalypse series module for Vassal. I have made plans for structure, user interface and so on. Here I ran on a couple of problems I am unable to solve alone. They relate to fact that game should have fog-of-war (only topmost unit visible and production hidden).

1. Is there any way to make it so that only topmost enemy combat unit per stack is shown on standard map but other markers (like fortifications etc.) are fully visible? One should still be able to move his opponents pieces to separata battlechart and to be able to inspect (and interact with) pieces there to resolve battles.

2. Secondly I tought that production would be handled on private charts (private windows) where both pools of available units and reinforcements tracks would be located. Problem is that in my design this far logging tool logs as people move their counters in their private charts. It basicly ruins the idea of hidden production, if your enemy’s log show that he’s moving three german 5-4-6 infantry counters in his hidden location.

Thanks for your help in advance. I really hope to solve these problems to be able to implement fog of war to game.

Item 1.

You’ll want to contact George Hayward. He has custom classes for vassal that implement this type of fog of war, but it may need to be adapted for your specific needs, based upon the rules of the game in question you are making. As an example see the Twilight in the East v2.0 module

Item 2.

In the private map window dialog, erase all entries in the map’s auto reports, so nothing is reported

To: messages@forums.vassalengine.org
Sent: Thu, January 21, 2010 9:43:39 AM
Subject: [Module Design]Design help needed concerning fog of war and hidden pieces

Hi,

I am noobish designer trying to make Empires of Apocalypse series module for Vassal. I have made plans for structure, user interface and so on. Here I ran on a couple of problems I am unable to solve alone. They relate to fact that game should have fog-of-war (only topmost unit visible and production hidden).

1. Is there any way to make it so that only topmost enemy combat unit per stack is shown on standard map but other markers (like fortifications etc.) are fully visible? One should still be able to move his opponents pieces to separata battlechart and to be able to inspect (and interact with) pieces there to resolve battles.

2. Secondly I tought that production would be handled on private charts (private windows) where both pools of available units and reinforcements tracks would be located. Problem is that in my design this far logging tool logs as people move their counters in their private charts. It basicly ruins the idea of hidden production, if your enemy’s log show that he’s moving three german 5-4-6 infantry counters in his hidden location.

Thanks for your help in advance. I really hope to solve these problems to be able to implement fog of war to game.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org (Messages@forums.vassalengine.org)
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Tim, big thanks. Will contact mr. Hayward asap. Also hint on item 2 worked perfectly. I was just looking for a checkbox for report tool, didn’t realize that just erasing those lines would do the trick. Thanks again!