Editing The Avalon Hill Guns of August Module

Hello,

I am new to Vasal. Here I found many of the old wargames I grew up with. I wish to make a few mods to it and I need advice how to do it.

1. I want to change the “nato set” symbol for naval (an anchor) to the silhouettes of the the warships on the actual paper counters. How can I do this?

2. I want to create a generic counter for both the Allies and Central Powers that is just a number that can increase from 1-20.

Any advice on this would be helpful.

Sincerely,

Gsayhi

1. place a copy of the module in a new folder.
  2. Unzip that copy.
  3. you will have a folder called ‘images’, use a paint program to modify a counters image.
    4A. then use the vassal editor to “refresh” pieces to the images you made. OR
    4B. If you know how replace the modified images in the .vmod file (I use 7ZIP)

“create a generic counter for both the Allies and Central Powers that is just a number that can increase from 1-20.”

• Create a blank counter (paint program)
  • Use vassal editor and in game piece palette add a single piece.
  • give that piece a dynamic property numeric 1-20 and commands to change the value.
  • Specify a Text Label that Displays the value of the Dynamic property. $variable name$

This shows how to display a dynamic property as text on a counter

Here is a screen shot of a module ‘Seminal Catastrophe K31’ Un-zipped. in a folder I named ZIP. red boxes. Red Box
The Blue Box is the files that were in the zip file.
Note: there is a pre-defined setup ‘Campaign Game K27’ included in the module there may be none or many depending.
There will only be a Sounds folder if the designer added sounds.
The ‘Images’ folder will have all the images used in the game inside it.

Another Note making changes in the displayed image folder does nothing, the changes have to be made inside the .vmod file.

Thank you. I’ll look into this when I get home tonight.