extension files

Been reading stuff on this site for a while, but have never posted anything. Please forgive me if this is not the place or not the method to ask a question. I am a VASl user and thoroughly enjoy it, Just wish I had known about it earlier in my gaming days.

To get to the point I am a Mac user, so I suppose that puts me in the very fringe of users. I am asking if there are any others out there who use the Mac for ASL gaming??? I have been trying to install Neal Ulens VASL Tools extension with no luck whatsoever. I have multiple extensions already installed buy am unable to get his latest one to install/work properly.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Michael Harris

The VASL forum is where you’re most likely to get answers about VASL.

No, it doesn’t. MacOS is probably around one third of the user of Vassal. Linux is about 10%, and the rest is Windows. So no underdog status or victim-hood status for MacOS users - you are very much main-stream :smiley:

Probably a lot. There’s probably somewhere between 20,000 to 40,000 users of Vassal, and a good fraction of those play ASL. A third of that would be MacOS users.

Do you mean Neal’s VASL Charts.vmdx? Just install it as any other extension, for example using the Module Manager.

Extensions generally does not contain custom classes, and should not contain system specific code. That is, extensions are handled the same on all platforms so this has nothing to do with MacOS.

See also this page for instructions on installing VASL - specifically this page on extensions.

Please remember to mark the solution to your problem.

Yours,
Christian

Also, if you’re having a problem, we could help you better if you described what you’re doing and what’s failing.

Thanks for the reply! I’ll try and explain. Neal Ulen has a website-- cp.asl-players.net. He is creating a program file (vasltools.vmdx file) that will open up and put an icon or button in vasl on one of the windows when you start a game. It allows an easy creating of tables and boxes that contain VC’s and SSR’s.

Every time I attempt to download using my Mac it comes in a folder and 3 separate files, none of which, when placed in my vast extensions directory load or operate correctly. It is my understanding that the file is supposed to download as a vmdx single file and then when placed in the vast extensions directory operate as a normal vmdx file does. I currently have approximately 15 separate vmdx files all which load normally. No matter how many times I attempt to download the file in question it never does so correctly. Neal works only with PC stuff so he can’t offer any guidance or help in my situation.

Please let me know if I am still being obtuse (if so not deliberately I assure you) and you need some more clarification. Thank you for any and all help with this matter.

Michael

That means you are experiencing the issue described in this thread. The fix is also described there (browser setting to stop ZIP archives from being auto-extracted without your knowledge/consent).

The extension (direct link) contains “custom” Java compiled code, and now OS specific code, so that should not be an issue.

@JoelCFC25 ’ s comment seem to be the Right Thing™.

Please remember to mark the solution to your problem, should it be solved.

Yours,
Christian