Game Piece Image Definitions vs other types

Hi, I am wondering which would be best to use, Game Piece Image Definitions or scanned counters. I have scanned all the counters but as they are mostly of the NATO type I am wondering if I should use the Game Piece Image Definitions instead. Does this make the game go faster and reduce the file size? Can I use both types of counter in the same game? There are about 500 counters in my game. Is there a tutorial or at least an example somewhere of how to create counters with Game Piece Image Definitions? Obviously using them must be tough as there is not much on the Wiki about them.

I am totally new to Vassal but I am amazed by this software, it is the first I have ever seen that truely lives up to it’s claim that no programming is required. So I have scanned the images and setup the maps and some other features, now I am wondering which way to go with the counters. It seems I might have to edit all the counters to reduce the number of colours as my files are way over the Vassal limit in size.
Also, is it possible to get a module to play a tune when it starts?

I have done the tutorial and watched some of the videos but think it would help to have a page that specifies what order to do things when making a Vassal module.

Thus spake FMAlanbrooke via messages:

Hi, I am wondering which would be best to use, Game Piece Image
Definitions or scanned counters. I have scanned all the counters but as
they are mostly of the NATO type I am wondering if I should use the Game
Piece Image Definitions instead. Does this make the game go faster and
reduce the file size?

It’s unlikely to run faster using GPIs. Are you having a problem with
speed?

You might find that the size of your module is a bit using GPIs. Are
you having a problem with your module being too large?

I am totally new to Vassal but I am amazed by this software, it is the
first I have ever seen that truely lives up to it’s claim that no
programming is required. So I have scanned the images and setup the
maps and some other features, now I am wondering which way to go with
the counters. It seems I might have to edit all the counters to reduce
the number of colours as my files are way over the Vassal limit in size.

I’d recommend strongly against reducing color depth. How large is your
module? How many images do you have and in what format?

J.

Hi, no, speed is not really a problem. My module folder seems to be a lot larger than is allowed, it’s 256 Mb uncompressed although that includes a lot of duplication and extra files that won’t be in the final version. So which is better, GPI’s or scanned counters? Can you suggest a module that uses GPI’s so I can see what it looks like? I have about 500 images, mostly in PNG format.

Thus spake FMAlanbrooke via messages:

Hi, no, speed is not really a problem. My module folder seems to be a
lot larger than is allowed, it’s 256 Mb uncompressed although that
includes a lot of duplication and extra files that won’t be in the final
version.

That sounds rather large for 500 images. What dimensions do they have?

J.

Hi, I have two maps made up of 4 and 2 pieces respectively, total size 48.9 Mb. Their dimensions are 3390X2179, 2950X2108, 1546X2098, 2448X2086, 3003X2093, and 3380X2165. The counters are about 80X80. There are 11 .png charts (which eventually could be turned into html/text files) plus four rules documents. The charts are dimensions like 580X408, 620X810, and 795X748 - the total size with the pdf rules documents is 8.05 Mb. Thanks for your assistance!