Global Key Command to modify invisible pieces

Having toyed around somewhat with the invisiblity trait, I doubt that you can make invisible piece, which you don’t own, visible using a GKC. Any ideas? Thx.

I have the same question. I’ve tried but have been unable to find a way to make an invisible piece you don’t own visible through your own action.

I expect that is the intended behavior. Giving an opponent the ability to reveal your invisible pieces could be abused by an unscrupulous opponent in non-live games in which you email log files back and forth. They could open and play your log file, reveal your units, then close and reopen that file and start the new log file which would not include his “peeking”.

Cheers,
Jim.

Jim, Thanks for the comment. I was thinking of implementing the change in visibility only through interaction of units, not through a player menu command to change visibility. For example, an enemy unit moves within siting range of your unit and is spotted (becomes visible) through an automatic range check. The enemy player doesn’t even know that his unit is visible, as it looks normal to him. You would not be able to move your opponents units per normal side controls, so I think it would be difficult to game the system in an email game, unless I’m missing something. I’ve managed to achieve a similar result by making your own units visible to the opponent if you get too close; I was just hoping for the flexibility to use the alternate technique.

Regards,
Rich

Hi Rich,

I don’t think it matters whether the revealing of invisible pieces by an opponent is done via a menu option or by moving his own units as you describe; either case would be vulnerable to exploitation by an unscrupulous opponent in offline (non-live) play.

If an opponent can reveal your invisible pieces by moving their own units within range, they could play your log file, run their units around the board at will to discover all of your invisible units, then close that session without saving a log file. They could then start over again to conduct their “official” move (with logging enabled) with secret knowledge of your invisible pieces.

Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the clarification. I now understand what you mean! I guess I’ll stick with the technique I already have. My owned unit sends a GKC to enemy units, the enemy units search for my friendly units. If they find one of my units in range, they send a GKC back to my unit and my unit makes itself visible. Hopefully, this technique cannot be exploited.

Regards,
Rich

Jim, would you mind sharing your solution in detail – or the module for that matter.
Thx
Matthias