Global Properties and Message Reports

Can Global Properties act on report message values such as $location$ ?

As a for instance: A counter is used to mark which piece is about to attack. I understand how to use message reports to write something like, “C6 attacks to the right …”. But is it possible to use change property to alter the value of, say, $location$ to give a report such as this: “C6 attacks C7”?

If not, is there another way it can be achieved?

Store the $location$ in a global property. Then report that.

• M.

2009/3/4 Kim <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

How do I do that?

The piece in the $location$ has to save the value of $location$ to a global variable using a “Set Global Property” trait. Once it’s there, global actions can use the name of that global property instead (which now holds the value of the pieces location).

• M.

2009/3/4 Kim <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Apologies for being late in acknowledging your reply. Thank you for this.

I am having some difficulty getting to grips with global properties and actions. But then I am not the brightest bunny in the colony.

Is there a chance of a tutorial on these sometime soon, do you know?

Unfortunately, VASSAL’s big weakness right now is documentation. We have some people looking into that currently. Have a look at the relevant thread here:

http://www.vassalengine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1707

• M.

2009/3/5 Kim <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>