Graphics File Mass Reducer & Photoshop Command to Reduce Noise

Howdy Gents,

I’ve had yet another request for module build and had sent me graphics files that are very large in size. They’re also not in the best condition, there’s lots of what would be termed “noise” in the solid colors (in other words they look mottled - Not ideal).

So, this time I’m going to try to cancel the noise and reduce the file sizes.

1. What specific Photoshop command reduces noise properly?
    [found a few that make a mess of things]

2. What program or utility can I use to input an entire folder full of graphics files that will reduce them en masse by a single percentage?

Thanks,
Tom

For issue 2, if you are comfortable with a command line based program and building batch command files, then Imagemagick is hard to beat.

2 Likes

If you’re looking to clean up scans, the sorts of filters you’re looking for are called things like “Noise Reduction” and “Despeckle” in GIMP. Posterize sometimes also helps with making areas which were solid colored solid colored once again.

What do you mean by “reduce them en masse by a single percentage”?

Brent described the idea about “reducing en masse”. A program where you can drag an entire batch of files and tell the program to reduce them from 100% of their size down to … oh say, 65% of their original size.

The only problem with his suggestion is … I have no idea what a batch command file is.

ImageMagick is here if you want to give it a shot. There’s extensive documentation.

1 Like

Photoshop ought to have the ability to do batch operations as well. Check the documentation.

Batch process is pretty simple in photoshop. Maybe better question - why can’t you start with better originals and save the nonsense.

2 Likes

The use of the word NONSENSE is OFFENSIVE.

The art in question is not of my creation. I create ONLY playtest artwork, which automatically means of lower quality and resolution necessary only for testing. Therefore this automatically means that if I receive artwork that is of high resolution, I DID NOT CREATE IT. I can work only with what I am given. Again, your comment was offensive.

Hmn. The touchiness of typed exchanges. The nonsense referred to is the need to reprocess the high resolution images. Perhaps the word noise was used incorrectly - but a good high res image will have no noise - and better yet a good vector rather than raster image will be clean and sharp regardless of image size. My suggestion was to avoid reprocessing - but hey its your call - no worries - at no point was I questioning the artwork per se.

If the art you’re starting with is noisy and isn’t a scan, that cries out for an explanation—it’s something there’s no reason for that could be obvious to anyone reading here.

I work with what is provided to me. I don’t ask questions about WHY something is in the condition it’s in. Artists are temperamental. I don’t ask them why.

Imagemagick for batch convert.
Re the ‘noise’ it sounds like you are talking about moire, which is not easy to fix. I usually create a new layer for text, and posterise it, and then apply a gaussian blur to the background.
Photoshop finds it hard to separate black print dots and text…

My old Photoshop has a specific tool for moire, but it’s not really
effective. Unfortunately I may have to return to my tried and true
method, though terribly time consuming … reconstructing the
counters from scratch and saving in png. I had been hoping to find a
simple means of doing it by which I could take an entire counter sheet
and repair everything on it before I cut the counters out one by one.
But I’ve done it before, just repaired/reconstructed anew.

C’est la vie.
Tom

1 Like

agreed, I spend more time recreating simple counters now than trying to recover poor scans of 70s printing :wink: I’ve done some good versions using the technique above, but its hard work, as it’s not easy to mask black dots with black text

Maybe provide an example image which will exhibit the problem when scaled. We haven’t established what the problem even is yet.