Help setting hex grid numbering scheme

Hi. Numbering this hex grid as on the playing surface (attached) has been giving me some trouble. Can you tell whether it is possible to duplicate the numbering on the board so it is reported correctly? If it is possible, could you show me how? I would love to get rid of the awkward alternate numbering scheme I currently use. Thank you!

(This is downsampled quite a bit and only a partial section to comply with upload limitation. Let me know if you need more to go on…)

Unfortunately, I think you are out of luck as far as using the standard Vassal hex grid numbering tools.

The grid that you want is a set of crossing diagonal axes, and the only numbering option provided is the sort of standard SPI-introduced numbering scheme from the 1970s.

Not even the old semi-diagonal Avalon Hill 1960s era numbering is natively supported.

So your choices are a bit limited. One would be to write some custom code to do the hex numbering using your non-standard axes. The other choice would be to use an “irregular” grid (that happens to be regular), and manually name all of the hex locations with their numeric coordinates.

I’m not sure either of those options is terribly appealing, although the irregular grid is likely to be the faster solution to your problem. If the map isn’t really all that big, it may in fact be a viable solution.

Thus spake “tar”:

I think it wouldn’t be that hard to write the code for a custom hex numbering.
Everyone else could benefit from it, as well, whereas doing an irregular
grid only solves the problem for this particular module.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Third Reich uses the same style of numbering. It uses a custom java HexHridNumbering to achieve this. Should be able to lift it out and apply it to another module.

Just had a look, unfortunately, it uses a sideways hex grid, so it may not work.

I will pull out the code and see what we can do.

B.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 13/11/2009 at 5:50 PM tar wrote:

Messages mailing list

Actually, just having another look at that grid and it is not like 3rd Reich or Afrika Corps ar all, its a real wacko with the two diagonals carrying the co-ordinates.

B.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 16/11/2009 at 12:04 PM Brent Easton wrote:

Messages mailing list

Thanks, all. I will look into doing the irregular grid (which I didn’t know about yet) for this one and then update it if Vassal will allow grid axis definition in the future. I will be trying to put together another Metagaming microgame (Chitin I) sometime soon, so I will see if it crops up again. See you, --M

The Irregular grid will be a good solution for a microgame.

Messages mailing list

Is there any chance that the Third Reich grid style could be added as an option? That would definitely be great for a handful of older games (most notably, 3R).

I have not done this because the 3R style is just one of many possible combinations when you take into account which axes, sideways settings and descending settings. To make a general purpose version was just too time consuming for only a handful of games. As far as I knew, the older AH games used the 3R style, so could use the custom code. That one of yours is the first one I have seen that didn’t fit the pattern.

I originally wrote this custom code specifically for 3R. Looking at the current modules, the A3R_Rev1702_AWAW.vmod modules appears to have this grid style included already, but all movement reporting turned off. The 3R4v21b01.vmod module appears to have has the custom code removed and the movement reports do not match the grid.

B.

Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer
University of Western Sydney
Email: b.easton@exemail.com.au

Messages mailing list