Help with multi-zoned grid shape defining

So I’ve been trying for like an hour and a half to define the shape of a single space on my game board (there will eventually be 29 spaces, equally hard to define), and I can’t for the life of me figure out how Vassal is adding/moving points. Sometimes when I right-click on a boundary for my shape, it adds a point connected from the opposite side of the shape. Sometimes it bifurcates the side I right-clicked on. Sometimes when I left click it moves a point, and sometimes it adds a point. Usually when I add a point, it seems like I then need to add three more points immediately connected to it?

I just don’t get how it’s working. If someone could suggest a process for me to use to define the shape that wouldn’t make me want to tear my hair out, I’d very much appreciate it.

For reference, the board I’m trying to define spaces for is circular, split into quadrants, and each quadrant is split into seven rings (so basically trapezoids with arced long edges. Each space on the board is one of those arced-trapezoid rings.

It looks like this:

The tool you use to draw zones has been badly broken for a long, long time (it adds new vertices out of sequence and frequently adds more than one). Defining a zone of even modest complexity is very burdensome as a result. There’s no real workaround, and I wouldn’t expect to see this fixed in VASSAL 3 at this point–effort is going towards VASSAL 4.

Thus spake JoelCFC25 via messages:

The tool you use to draw zones has been badly broken for a long, long
time (it adds new vertices out of sequence and frequently adds more than
one). Defining a zone of even modest complexity is very burdensome as a
result. There’s no real workaround, and I wouldn’t expect to see this
fixed in VASSAL 3 at this point–effort is going towards VASSAL 4.

If someone else is finding this painful enough to write a patch for it,
however, we’d be happy to apply it.

J.

The workaround is to avoid using the tool and define the zone vertex by vertex, moving (counter)clockwise, e.g. for a simple 720x170 square:

10,120 740,120 740,290 10,290