Hiding Key Commands

I apologize if this is a horrifically newbish question, but is there a way to hide the key commands from the right click menu when you click on an item in the game?

Thus spake “ABCoLD”:

Why do you want to prevent users from seeing the what the hotkeys are?

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Simply to provide a cleaner interface especially if I’m using commands like NUMPAD-1 for a command that already is a fairly lengthy menu command.

This will be a by-product of a feature that has been built in the upcoming version 3.2 - ‘Named Hot Keys’

In a Vassal module, you often need to allocate a ‘hidden’ Hotkey to send a message between components or perform some task that players never actually sees. Up until now, module designers have been forced to allocate possibly large numbers of ‘unusual’ key combinations to these functions to ensure that each function is kept separate from all others.

Named Hot Keys allows you to have the option of pressing a single hot-key as now, or, to type in a longer meaningful name, creating a ‘Named Hot Key’. Instead of using Alt-Ctrl-Shift-F2, you can use ‘Fire-Trigger-A-step2’ instead.

Every unique Named Hot Key is guaranteed to be allocated a unique real Hot Key that will not conflict with any other real Hot Key, or any Named Hot Key with a different name. There is a pool of some 24,000 that can be allocated, more than enough, even for Tim M. :slight_smile:

A side effect of Named Hot Keys being invisible to the players is that Traits that use them will not have a Hot-key displayed in the right-click menu of the counter.

B.

Messages mailing list

Oh… I dont know

24000 / 10* = 2400
2400 / 365 = 6.56 approx

let me get back to you on that in about 7 years lol (*thats if I figure out a way to use 10 unique keys per day - not likely)
Alas I guess this means I need to find something else I can max out or strain to the limits till then :slight_smile:

The 24,000 limit is of unique Hot keys in a single module!

Different modules can reference the same Named Hot Keys, they cannot interact in any way.

B.

Messages mailing list

Fantastic! It sounds like I’ll need to do a nearly complete rebuild, but at least I’ll have a solid foundation from what I have and this is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much! :slight_smile: